Linux EScribe Suite Beta Thread

52 minutes ago, Ak89 said:

@Gilbertrican90 

You may be fighting a losing battle. Linux beta on chrome book may not support usb devices. 

See:  https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/9145439?hl=en

@Podunk Steam

Linux MX has a desktop environment so terminal may not be needed at all. 

Right click the escribe file. Look for a permissions tab, and check for a box (or something) referring to making it executable. 

My earlier post about chmod requires "+x" not "-x", I mistyped and didn't catch it until I posted. It was edited immediately, but you may not have been notified... 

The notes you are seeing are due to permissions on the file. If it was downloaded with a su account it requires root permissions. Download the file in your standard user account to give yourself permissions to the file, and make it executable in whatever way you find easiest. (permissions can be changed as it is but it would be tricky to type everything required on my phone)

LMAO! One slip of the pen they say. I'll go rub up against this again with a + and see if I can turn it on. 

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mention that's how I've been making the file executable, through the desktop that is.

Nope, wasn't downloaded under a su account, I'm pretty sure I managed that through the terminal inadvertently. 

This is a pretty fresh install of Linux MX on a 255Gb SSD drive in a Lenovo T430 with Linux Mint on the 500Gb HHD with Escribe on it, the system is dual booted.  Windows 7 Pro crapped out after not being accessed or updated forever so it got nixxed.  Not really a Windows fan honestly.

I'm kinda fond of Linux MX and may eventually change out the HHD for 500Gb SSD would be the reason for the efforts. 

I appreciate the efforts you've made. 

Edited by Podunk Steam

@Gilbertrican90

I have no idea. My understanding is that Linux beta is a type of emulator, and because it is still considered to be in "beta" stage, it is not fully functional. 

Emulators are quirky things and it is hard to predict how they will function.

I am not familiar with the implementation of Linux beta on the chromebook,but I know that Linux emulators on windows are terrible for anything more than simple bash commands. They don't have a full Linux kernel so dependencies usually get screwed up. 

I wish I could assist more, but documentation is scarce, and that Google docs statement that usb devices are not yet supported is a big problem that may not be fixable.

Edited by Ak89

FYI I saw this last night, I am on a mobile phone and if this comes out weird I am sorry kiwi browser is not playing nice with this forum. 

It absolutely works on mx Linux, 100%, I am not near a pc at the moment our I would run you through each step. 

But running ./esribe***.run was right. In file management right click and open area in terminal where it is located. If you are still having issues I will look back here on Monday and walk you through your issues 

But one question, it almost sounds as if you didn't even have a DNA device? Am I missing anything? Or mistaken? 

10 hours ago, Gilbertrican90 said:

Edited by Bradford1040

If and when you answer, include (always) the distro, (in your case mx Linux) & version, the desktop environment you are using, which escribe version you are trying to install. All helps others like myself answer questions more directly. 

Keep in mind most of us are not employed by escribe, we are just people that are willing to help, and trust me I understand frustration sometimes, where some answer like you are an idiot or downright mean in response. But try and keep in mind the ones that are trying are doing it because they are nice people. With so many different distros out there and versions of kernels, software, and hardware, not everything goes together with out a BFH lol. 

But I have it installed on multiple distros, mx Linux is one of my favorites as it easily supports steam games (with lutris help). I have an Orion DNA and have taken allot of time to adjust it so my coils last week's not days. So hats off the the OP that made the port! 

Edited by Bradford1040
  • Like 1

@Bradford1040I don't have a dna device yet I'm getting one in this week I just wanted to make sure I could download escribe on my chromebook so that I didn't have to go and buy a windows pc. And these thing is I have no idea what any of that means lol so I have no idea what to put in these responses that would tell you better what's going on with this process. I really do appreciate all the help though. What I wish there was is a detailed step by step video of someone doing this on a chromebook. Now that I can follow that lol

Edited by Gilbertrican90

13 hours ago, Gilbertrican90 said:

It will work,no need to buy a windows OS lol. Like I said I have installed it on many os'es including live USB ones. Heck I have it running on a Raspberry pi that runs Kali (my war driving unit) no issues. Worst things I have to upload a link to gdrive to a copy I edited for a Kali install that had KDE gui

Boy, you are a impetus person lol, Linux truly is all about persistence and perseverance. If you get back into it, let me know, once you get over the massive learning curve of Linux you won't ever use windows or Apple again. Like mechanical keyboards, you just can't go back after perfection has been achieved 

5 hours ago, Bradford1040 said:

If and when you answer, include (always) the distro, (in your case mx Linux) & version, the desktop environment you are using, which escribe version you are trying to install. All helps others like myself answer questions more directly. 

Keep in mind most of us are not employed by escribe, we are just people that are willing to help, and trust me I understand frustration sometimes, where some answer like you are an idiot or downright mean in response. But try and keep in mind the ones that are trying are doing it because they are nice people. With so many different distros out there and versions of kernels, software, and hardware, not everything goes together with out a BFH lol. 

But I have it installed on multiple distros, mx Linux is one of my favorites as it easily supports steam games (with lutris help). I have an Orion DNA and have taken allot of time to adjust it so my coils last week's not days. So hats off the the OP that made the port! 

Glad to hear it's just me, I kind of assumed that much already without mention of MX Linux here in the forums.

I appreciate your offer! I'm an old timer here and know this is a community effort deal, bought a HP Stream 7 when Escribe launched just to have Windows originally to run Escribe.  

I'm liking MX Linux as well and this is the reason for the effort at this install, I may nix my HHD for a SSD.

You asked for it, Hehehehe

I'm dual booted in a Lenovo Thinkpad T430, HHD of 500Gb has Linux Mint and the 255Gb SSD has the Linux MX.

echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
XFCE

PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
Likely at least part of the problem.

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available. 

And the installation of LSB couldn't find which anchor point to install to so it looks like another install of Linux MX could be in order?

Edit: I'm finding references to peripheral manufacturers for LSBs so I'm just going to lay low on this for a while and see where it goes.  As of the Buster release the OS no long carriers the LSBs as to the best of my knowledge.

Edited by Podunk Steam

Since these forums seem unmoderated: Would you mind discussing your distributions somewhere else? This thread is supposed to contain information on the 'escribe linux beta'.

3 minutes ago, craw said:

IMHO this whole thread page contributes no information not previously mentioned here. But please continue cluttering if you must.

I could be less than civil in response, please refer to my edited post above.

This forum is a community effort.

Edited by Podunk Steam
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wayneo said:

@craw We moderators see ALL postings. We're just chilled :cool:

If it's bothering you, you can just unfollow this thread. Then you won't get any more email updates. :hand_splayed:

Okay, please completely delete my account.

Edited by Guest

@pleasedeleteme It took more time for you change your username, upload a new picture, quote me and then write that request than it would to unfollow the thread and sign on at your leisure. :relaxed: Just don't sign on any longer if you wish.

* We're all under much stress during this pandemic and if people can at least talk/help someone about a somewhat relevant topic instead of staring at the walls, it's a good thing :hand_splayed:

📛 Running Escribe-Suite in LINUX outright, WILL MOST LIKELY NOT WORK. It needs to be updated by the developers.
Why?  Because an OLD version of mono is required.   This can be worked around but maybe too difficult for most.  A lot of factors go into it being a quick fix or a long one.  This is NOT the right or best way to do it.  To simply get the application running no matter what, use VirtualBox.

Assumptions:  User already knows the basics of virtualbox. Do not let ubuntu upgrade the VM to 18.04 or 20.04.  We want the software locked in time.  This OS will only be spun up to run the app.

How to install and run Escribe-Suite ?

# Create and START VM using an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Desktop iso.
# Login using the GUI shown in the VirtualBox Console.
# Open a Terminal
cd ~/Desktop
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade -fy
wget https://downloads.evolvapor.com/SetupEScribe2_SP19_US.run
chmod +x ./SetupEScribe2_SP19_US.run
cd ~/.local/opt/evolv/escribe-suite
./launch-escribe-suite

How pass your USB DNA Device to the VirtualMachine ?

# Right+Click on the USB icon on the lower right panel of the VirtualMachine Console window.
# Choose your DNA device.
Edited by 3lksfjsd3sfd

u/3lksfjsd3sfd

I can't wait to get back to my multiple pc's and screen shot each one of them using esribe software flawlessly lol, not bitching bud. But I got them working 99% minus the esolve or the networked stats. It works today on new os'es. 

I am even trying to port it over to android (which is Linux) now that has proved to be difficult lol, but still going to hopefully get it, 

Change your setting from a tablet or phone, cool idea huh. Linux is not a dead end, it's the future (at least a bunch of us feel so) have a safe time, wash your hands, be well

13 minutes ago, 3lksfjsd3sfd said:

📛 Running Escribe-Suite in LINUX outright, WILL MOST LIKELY NOT WORK. It needs to be updated by the developers.
Why?  Because an OLD version of mono is required.   This can be worked around but maybe too difficult for most.  A lot of factors go into it being a quick fix or a long one.  This is NOT the right or best way to do it.  To simply get the application running no matter what, use VirtualBox.

Assumptions:  User already knows the basics of virtualbox. Do not let ubuntu upgrade the VM to 18.04 or 20.04.  We want the software locked in time.  This OS will only be spun up to run the app.

# Open a Terminal
cd ~/Desktop
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade -fy
./launch-escribe-suite

# Right+Click on the USB icon on the lower right panel of the VirtualMachine Console window.

Wow, thank you!

I have had multiple Linux distributions run Escribe previously and Escribe is loaded on the Linux Mint drive of the computer I'm on at the moment. I'm just liking MX and would like to have one distro with all my stuff on it. After Escribe my next hurdle is the fingerprint reader on my T430 which does work in Mint as well, it's just a James Bond cool thing IMHO.  

Before I go VM, I'm going to load an older version of Linux MX, a version prior to them dropping the LBSs, then load 19.1 MX through a terminal which I hope will retain the LBSs I didn't get with Buster version. 

It may just end up being that the Linux Mint goes on the 255Gb SSD drive but I'd rather the MX, just a preference thing.

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Bradford1040 said:

u/3lksfjsd3sfd

I can't wait to get back to my multiple pc's and screen shot each one of them using esribe software flawlessly lol, not bitching bud. But I got them working 99% minus the esolve or the networked stats. It works today on new os'es.

Clearly the post is not for you, or anyone else who has the ability to run it normally or by using fixes.  That post is for those who do have issues and may not have the ability to get around it.  It's a quick and dirty way to get it working without messing with their systems.  That's exactly the point.   Erasing and downgrading your OS to an older , less stable distro ( I have seen this posted on here ) is not a good temp or permanent solution.  Send us all a link to the android app you made  or a repackaged application that works for everyone or provide step by step help for every person with a different os with different packages, cause I'm not sure how your screenshots are going to assist those people.  At least this is something that can be digested in a few steps that most people can do without help.

3 hours ago, 3lksfjsd3sfd said:

# Open a Terminal
cd ~/Desktop
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade -fy
./launch-escribe-suite

Here's a correction:

# Open a Terminal
cd ~/Desktop
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade -fy
chmod +x SetupEScribe2_SP19_US.run
./SetupEScribe2_SP19_US.run
./launch-escribe-suite

• Like 1