Lost Vape Paranormal wrong resistance

Nobbi

• 3 weeks later...

yes i contacted evolve and lostvape about this issue because i just didnt have the tools required  for theswains fix.(and i shouldnt have to after dropping more than 100$ on a mod) Evolve got back to me the next day and was willing to take the mod and fix it. Still havent heard from lostvape which is surprising, i didnt realize lostvapes customer service was so bad. I mean evolve didnt even make the mod but was willing to take it and fix it. Kudos to Evolve they are great. However i was able to take it back to my BM where i got it and they replaced it, while i was there we open and tested 3 paranormals they had and 1 other was like the one i was returning bad ohm reading so that was 2 out of 4 tested. Lostvape is seriously slipping with quality control...i mean you would figure they would QC these mods for 100+$s, this isnt a cheap wismec or smok...anyway beware of the paranormal because there are quite a few bad ones coming out of lostvape with apparently no QC to catch them    

6 hours ago, xian40 said:

i have also received nothing in response of this paranormal issue from lost vape. they just dont responded. thanks for sharing  this post randy.

Hello! yes your best bet is contacting Evolve, they will respond or taking it back to where you bought it for exchange. Hope you get it sorted. It really is a nice device once its working properly

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2017 at 2:58 PM, TheSwain said:

The 510 connector on the Paranormal has what i believe is thread lock between the ring where the ground wire is soldered to, and the main body of the connector. thread lock is a non-conductive substance which causes the Ohm readings to be off, However, it is an easy fix.

Step1: remove the 3 T5 torx screws that hold the 510 to the body.

Step 2: carefully unsolder the ground (black) wire form the outer ring. (take care not to over heat and melt inner insulator ring.)

Step 3: using two pair of adjustable jaw pliers, grab the edge of the 510 with one pliers, and the ring that the ground wire was connected to with the other, and unscrew the ring from the 510. (take care to not how the insulator ring goes in.)

Step 4: clean out the threads inside the ring and off the threads of the main 510 body. Using a pair of tweezers or small flathead screw driver is a good idea.

Step 5: wipe ofF threads with rubbing alcohol or acetone. 

Step 6: reassemble and tighten down ground ring to main body of 510. 

Step 7: re-solder the ground wire back to the ring, (don't hold heat on too long or you risk melting insulator ring.)

Step 8: line up the 510 and reattach to body with 3 T5 screws. 

that will bring the ohm reading back to correct readings.  

Thank you Thank you Thank you TheSwain. I have had my Paranormal DNA166 mod for a while now and slowly stopped using it. I was so frustrated because nothing I tried would remedy the fact that my Ohms would jump around when in power mode. I gave up on Temp control because it would instantly jump into temp protect with the initial firing. This little fix solved everything. Such a very tiny amount of thread lock was enough to not allow a solid connection on the 510 connector. It was very easy to do, granted I do a lot of soldering and things at my job anyways, nonetheless, anyone should be able to do this if they were to take their time. Thank you again!!! You helped breathe life back into one of my favorite mods!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Judweiser220 said:

Thank you Thank you Thank you TheSwain. I have had my Paranormal DNA166 mod for a while now and slowly stopped using it. I was so frustrated because nothing I tried would remedy the fact that my Ohms would jump around when in power mode. I gave up on Temp control because it would instantly jump into temp protect with the initial firing. This little fix solved everything. Such a very tiny amount of thread lock was enough to not allow a solid connection on the 510 connector. It was very easy to do, granted I do a lot of soldering and things at my job anyways, nonetheless, anyone should be able to do this if they were to take their time. Thank you again!!! You helped breathe life back into one of my favorite mods!

Glad I could Help. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just had my paranormal 166 for a few hours and couldn't figure out what caused the problem with the high resistance. Then I found this thread and seen it wasn't a one off. I didn't want to chance the fix myself so contacted Evolv. Within about 2 hours I had a reply and an RMA had been approved. This company goes above and beyond, simply unrivalled customer service. Now the wait for it to get to them from Ireland and back again lol

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted Lost Vape too and they only replied to me a few days ago to say, and I quote, "Hi there, thanks for your information. Hope our repair center "evolv" can help you out". Meanwhile my return has already been received by Evolv, fixed (hopefully) and is on the way back to me. I hope you get your sorted out too KGB7. Good luck. 

2 hours ago, DrChud said:

I contacted Lost Vape too and they only replied to me a few days ago to say, and I quote, "Hi there, thanks for your information. Hope our repair center "evolv" can help you out". Meanwhile my return has already been received by Evolv, fixed (hopefully) and is on the way back to me. I hope you get your sorted out too KGB7. Good luck. 

So Evolv is willing to fix it even though it was made by LostVape?

Now I’m wondering if I should send it to Evolv as well, instead of doing an exchange with online store I bought it from.

3 hours ago, DrChud said:

I contacted Lost Vape too and they only replied to me a few days ago to say, and I quote, "Hi there, thanks for your information. Hope our repair center "evolv" can help you out". 

Since the problem with the Paranormal's is widely due to LV using a loctite compound on the threads on the 510 connector, the chances are very high that you will receive another with the same issues...contact Evolv & let them guide you!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Fix tested on my Paranormal 75C

Just ran through the initial fix suggested by ThatGuySwain regarding cleaning the threads on the 510.  My testing thus far after cleaning the threads and the insulators is very positive.  I didn't find any significant thread lock, though I did find quite a bit of juice.  I have had several atomizers (TANK & Coil or RDTA) that have leaked since I purchased this mod and clearly the juice made it into the threads or created a minor bridge between the positive and negative terminals.  After cleaning the 510 and all of the removable components of said 510, I am back in business and no longer seeing the resistance jump issue.  Thanks for the info ThatGuySwain!

Regarding taking the 510 apart: The ring that the black wire is soldered to is basically a "nut".  The 510 threaded top section would be considered a "bolt" or a screw.  If you gently but firmly hold the "nut" with small vice grips (use caution here...as too much pressure could crush the ring and ruin it), and the "bolt" with a standard set of slip-joint pliers (and some sort of cloth to protect the finish if you so choose), you can carefully unscrew the "bolt" from that negative ring (aka the "nut").  Next use some q-tips (aka cotton swabs) to clean the threads, insulators, and the positive pin.  Reassemble in reverse order.  Re-solder the black wire to the ring / "nut" and you are "off the races".

Patience is key when unscrewing and screwing it back together.  Make sure the bolt threads nicely back in to the nut, and make sure tighten it down snugly.

Just wondering is this problem with reading wrong resistance exclusive to the Paranormal and not the Therion. Been going to get a couple but I'm not into taking it apart. I hate the battery problem on the Therion but my old one finally got broken in so I have no problems. Also I went over to Fasttech just to look and the Paranormals DNA75c all say discontinued is that something that is happening, I wouldn't buy a mod from them and I'm pretty sure Element Vape would stand behind their stuff but kinda wanted to know if they fixed the problems that seem to be occuring with the Paranormal I don't understand how they can make such a beautiful mod like the Therion and not fix the problem with the back battery tearing the wraps. It's been like that since I got my older DNA75. Went through about 4 wraps before it finally stopped doning it.

Edited by 2legsshrt