Mac EScribe Suite Beta Thread

16 minutes ago, MikeE3 said:

ummm? I must be dumb or something but I can't find the downloads for the latest Mac version (or for that matter the PC version). The only links I've run into seem to be for previous versions. ... Where can I find the link to download the current Mac version and perhaps the instruction pdf for using eScribe?  

Sorry about this ... I just don't see it from this forum site or links to it from the Evolv home site. I'll probably feel even dumber when I see the answer. 

First page of this thread as it is a beta release so not where folks not wanting to use test software might download it unintentionally.

29 minutes ago, VapingBad said:

First page of this thread as it is a beta release so not where folks not wanting to use test software might download it unintentionally.

Thank you ... I remember the original being posted in the opening thread ... but missed along the way ... the same link was being updated with he revisions. Yep ... I feel dumber. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have installed the INTL version instead of US as I am in the UK, I guess this was correct? 

So far have only tried it with my Efusion DNA200, and it seemed fine. Even updated a service pack to the mod- they might be behind a few due to only using windows for Escribe. 

Now I can use it on Mac OS it makes things a lot easier for me, and all the other mac using vapers out there. Thank you for this. 

I would like to see the items noted in the image of the General screen addressed. All of the features that are used most are difficult to view and use. Please note that I am using a Mac Book Pro 13".

I would also like for two things to occur when I open device monitor: it remembers what I items I had selected previously; and, I not have to maximize and then minimize for it to bring all items to scale and view.

I will never mention the above again if you guys can just go a head a fix the non-linear resistance error in the 75C firmware. I have used multiple fixed resistors in an attempt to add a decent internal resistance setting for my mods and the deviation changes as I swap between different resistors.

Escribe main screen.png

Device manager non-min.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hello fellow Mac Vape Friends!, Just got my first Triade DNA250 and successfully installed the Mac SP8 (US version) on my MacBook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.2 (beta). Off to Thanksgiving Part 2 right now, hope yours have all been great. Will post my thoughts after I've played with escribe a bit further. 

Edited by mrphilip

Waiting for my first DNA250 and have downloaded the app to check... I haven’t seen the Escribe win version, but the one made for MacOS - looks like software from 2000 year...

Hope that the release version will be a native Mac app, not just ported win interface.

Edited by iAlexander

12 hours ago, retird said:

When you get the 250 device check out the functionality and features of EScribe when the device is connected  All the functions, diagnostics, analyzers, monitor, theme designer, and more that EScribe has is, to, me, what makes it shine in the ecig world.  

Of course will check everything, and by the way I have no doubts that it works on MacOS and does all the required settings on DNA mods.

I've just shared my opinion regarding the UI/UX of the software.

Welcome :hand_splayed:

18 minutes ago, iAlexander said:

I've just shared my opinion regarding the UI/UX of the software.

No comments on such things as using the spacebar or the return/enter key for accepting a dialog box, or copy/paste in an editable field. IMHO, there are bigger fish to fry. :221_see_no_evil:

I have the 75C but don't own a DNA60 but my understanding is that the 75C boost was ported to the 60 in the early software version.  Here is a EScribe screenshot of DNA60 showing the material "Watts" selected and the Boost function just below the material choices....  Since the Theme Designer for the 75C is different than the 60 I think you must use EScribe to set the boost (punch) from 0 to 11 for Kanthal and upload the profile to the 60 and there is no preheat time limit adjustments for Kanthal (Watts) ...With the 75C you can design a theme whereby you can adjust boost on the device absent EScribe.......hopes this helps....

Untitled.png

4 hours ago, James said:

It is a native Mac program...with only a few exceptions.

What specifically would you change to make it feel more native?

I'd change a lot, let's start from the first screen that user see after the launch... There we can see that our "Software Suite" consists of 7 different apps.

5a1c983453351_ScreenShot2017-11-28at00_52_57.thumb.png.8cb17e4adc27734919135f4965929e96.png

The buttons that look like blue underlined text (I remember the time 1990s, when every link on any web page looked the same) don't look native/good at all. Also I have spotted the issue with applications/utilities icons. When we launch any utility except of "EScribe" app - it first appears in dock with generic/sample icon, and changes it to normal icon only after some time (I guess it loads it from some destination).

If we dive deeper inside "SoftwareSuite" - we will see there even more apps - 10 of them (without our 1 screen launcher)...

5a1ca30282d1c_ScreenShot2017-11-28at01_42_35.thumb.png.6ec56d0e56a6fb55ad58b01c74c9b0f7.png

Why do you think that user needs a wrapper, to launch separate apps/utilities? Or even why do you think that every single user needs all of them after the purchase of DNA mod? I was informed only about ESigStats during the installation process.

5a1ca67b2f567_ScreenShot2017-11-28at01_55_31.thumb.png.ce367185a7ecee711cf914ea71e8a1ad.png

And if anyone disagree to install it - that's what that user can see after clicking ECigStats link in wrapper:

5a1ca783d149e_ScreenShot2017-11-28at01_57_09.thumb.png.1816e5b097bb1f92d514c08eceaef039.png

I definitely don't need calculator app, every Mac user already has 2 of them - calculator app and the spotlight that can calculate anything and can be launched over any window.

5a1ca0da0f936_ScreenShot2017-11-28at01_32_20.thumb.png.490f058a5f09b7fd8ef543344944d837.png

Also I have doubts that a lot of users need ProductionUtility and SerialTerminal (maybe also CaseAnalyzer, cause I'm still waiting for my DNA and can't try the software on real cases). Those apps should be also optional on install (or even only on windows, cause I don't think that a manufacturer will use a Mac to check/setup new mods in his production line).

That all was related to SoftwareSuite concept. 99% of EScribe Mac users are the individuals that have downloaded it to setup/edit their DNA mod, and don't need extra utilities.

@James: regarding the separate utilities/apps UI and UX, I will write you more details with examples later (need to structure my thoughts in a list).

By the way, if you're interested in that topic - you can also check the developer section on Apple website. They have the "Human interface guidelines", that describes (with pics) how the god app should look and operate.

• Like 1

Not only launcher, that’s just a first thing that looks confusing and not native. Will write about everything other later.

• Of course you can group apps in folders programmatically in launchpad. Photoshop and others do that.
  • If they all are parts of one program, than they can’t have their own icon and can’t be a separate item in dock. 
  • Yes, UI can be created and updated only from the main thread, that is a usual thing that helps to build responsive interfaces.

First step to macOS native looking app, is to refuse building all-in-one Frankenstein based on your windows app UI and logic. 

P.S. As I understand, you don’t use macOS as your main system, right?

Edited by iAlexander
  • Like 1

Form follows function ! First of all WE are all happy that a mac version exists ! No matter if it looks like a Mac version or like software from the year 2000!

For ME it makes no difference how it looks - as long as it is working as expected! 

For a long period of time we had to use Windows / Parallels to program our devices - this now is over - so for me no need to discuss the look of the mac version !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I´m that happy with this peace of (FREE) Software !

• Like 2

While I fully agree with @iAlexander and many of these last 2 points, here are 2 functional points.

1. Change the timing of when the backups are done to after the device has been fully enumerated. As it sits, it's really of no use to a user with multiple boards of the same type. 

2. And most importantly, you already know setting an accurate Mod resistance only works for 75 boards. 

Triade Black_small.jpg

Triade Brown_small.jpg

DUO Leather_small.jpg

Edited by Wayneo

Another functional issue.

While it's usually crickets over there, I actually use ecigstats as I only have/use DNA devices, to see if my 'puffs' increase when I lower nic levels in my eliquid. So I wondered over there earlier, to see that a new version had been released. 2 actually within the last month. Excellent.

ECigStats.jpg

Off to the 'My Usage' section. It's completely blank, whereas before, it was completely filled (excellently). Tried Chrome, Firefox, Safari, all blank.ECig my usage.png

So I go look at the version number I'm running (remember the 2 updates image). Well, nope, only Version 1.0, actually every program for 2.0 SP9 Intl show a version number of 1.0. I think this fully qualifies as a functional issue.Ecig version info.png

Edited by Wayneo
Readability

@James Beautiful, I can see my data. Thank you.

It was only posted here, because it was sold to Evolv, and no longer Dimension Engineering. Also, we're discussing the Mac Escribe suite.

Any work on the Mod Res functional issue?

Any thoughts on waiting for the full USB enumeration functional issue?

37 minutes ago, James said:

ECigStats was never Dimension Engineering

Thank you, it's fixed, and I won't waste your time or mine by loading the first version and looking at the Copyright information.

39 minutes ago, James said:

Mod Resistance has nothing to do with Mac EScribe

If Evolv loads it on my machine, I consider it part of Mac Escribe. Thank you for working on it.

40 minutes ago, James said:

Backups are done when you download settings

If you look at my printscreens, right beside that long list of backups you can see the 'name' I called the device. That's what should be shown with the backups, not just board type.

You want a PM, or general forum posts from now on? At least we got COLOR. <- Christmas theme.