Mac EScribe Suite Beta Thread

Hello all,

For some time now, as time has permitted, I've been separating out and making platform-independent the Windows-specific portions of our EScribe code. About a month ago I finished this, and began porting EScribe to MacOS. Today, I believe the Mac port has few enough bugs to be usable.

I expect this will have bugs. Please let me know what you run into. Also, I don't use Mac on a daily basis, so if there is anything that seems unnatural to you relative to ordinary Mac look-and-feel, please mention that as well.

https://downloads.evolvapor.com/SetupEScribe2_SP13_US.pkg

https://downloads.evolvapor.com/SetupEScribe2_SP13_INTL.pkg

Enjoy :)

James

Revision information:

SP13 - Updated to SP13.

SP8 - Updated to SP8.

SP6 - Updated to SP6.

b13 - Updated to SP5.2. Fixes a number of MacOS-specific bugs.

b12 - Fixes a DNA 75 Color SP25 scale bug.

b11 - Fixes minor DNA 75 Color SP25 bug, and extends the beta to support DNA 75 and 200.

b10 - Updated to SP5.1. This version fixes Available Materials not saving, ECigStats minimizing to the Dock, and other bugs. Includes DNA 75 Color SP25.

b9 - Updated to SP5. This is the first version to also support ECigStats. Includes DNA 75 Color SP24, and extends the beta to support DNA 250.

b8 - Updated to SP4.2. Includes DNA 75 Color SP23.

b7 - Supports dragging files onto EScribe (.ecig), Device Monitor (.py), and Theme Designer (.ecigtheme). Includes revised DNA 75 Color SP22.

b6 - Supports OS X High Sierra. Includes revised DNA 75 Color SP22.

b2 - Supports OS X versions earlier than Sierra.

b1 - Initial test release.

• Like 12

Hi, James.

This version is installing and starting on 10.13 High Sierra. Escribe starting, Device monitor starting, Theme Editor starting too. 

But i think no need to close Escribe suite laucher after starting one of his tool.

I have DNA 250 and it not supporting by this version. Thanks for Sharing Escribe for Mac!

Edited by GamulinAO

Hi James 

Thank you for the first public version!

Here´s my first feedback

Installer package seems to install escribe succesfull under 10.11.6 OSx El Capitan (Mac Mini Early 2014)

Starting the application bringing the Escribe icon to the  Dock - that´s all 

No response no window no function 

will try it on an other machine MacBook Air 

1 minute ago, GamulinAO said:

Hi, James.

Only DNA 75 Color? No other DNA boards supported?

Did you even read his entire post? People are in such a rush nowadays....

James thank's for all the good work, never thought this day would come. Will be submitting bug reports :D

• Like 1

Только что, Lowbytes сказал:

Same behavior on my MacBook Air on El Capitan

so for me not working under 10.11.6 on both machines - time for updating to Sierra????

Anyone hitting the goal with OSX Sierra ???

Regards 

Mikel

I am on High Sierra. And all starting. Try to update Your Mac Os

• Like 1

Installed and working fast and reliably on 10.13. UI obviously looks a big out of place on a Mac but who cares about this right now. (When I get the time some time during the summer I might create some mockups of how you make this feel more at home)

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 08.58.18.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 08.56.57.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lowbytes said:

Hi James 

Thank you for the first public version!

Here´s my first feedback

Installer package seems to install escribe succesfull under 10.11.6 OSx El Capitan (Mac Mini Early 2014)

Starting the application bringing the Escribe icon to the  Dock - that´s all 

No response no window no function 

will try it on an other machine MacBook Air 

Hi Lowbytes.

Don't worry. On Windows, we support back as far as is practical - XP Service Pack 3. I intend to do a similarly good job of compatibility on MacOS. Guess I'll need to set up some virtual machines to test old versions of MacOS..

Hmm. Go to Applications with Finder, right click EScribe Suite.app and click Show Package Contents. Then, go to Contents, MacOS, and double click RunProgram. Doing this shows more information while the program is starting. What error (if any) does it show when you do this?

Thanks!

James

I do not have a 75C so I could not plug in a device.

Running 10.12.5 Sierra. Installed fine, no issues.

General Observations

Seems very Windows like.

On the General tab I don't understand the purpose of the 'Current Profile' just above the Profiles. As I change to a different lower 'Profile' setting, that upper 'Current Profile' value stays the same.

For preheat the time value has been removed BUT 'Punch' now gives us the option of 'Temperature' ... hmmmm.

Also, the Max temperature of 600F was allowed to be changed to 700F and remained after changing other parameters. Perhaps checking that is set for a later stage.

@James I've actually been compiling a list of wishes/enhancements needed IMHO, and can share either publicly or privately for your consideration, but I don't want to muddle this thread.

Edited by Wayneo

1 hour ago, Wayneo said:

On the General tab I don't understand the purpose of the 'Current Profile' just above the Profiles. As I change to a different lower 'Profile' setting, that upper 'Current Profile' value stays the same.

This indicates the current profile that is being used on the device...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayneo said:

For preheat the time value has been removed BUT 'Punch' now gives us the option of 'Temperature' ... hmmmm.

Interestingly, if you have a both the 'Punch Level' & 'Punch Temperature' as a control/field on a screen in your theme on the device, adjusting one will also adjust the other...the time value isn't available as an adjustable control, only 'Power', 'Temp' & 'Level'...

Preheat Punch is a relative temperature (relative to the setpoint - 160F below at 1, 100F below at 5, and 10F below at 11). Preheat Temperature is an absolute temperature.

If you use the Preheat Temperature setting, it is really only appropriate to set it to the liquid's boiling point. By doing so, preheat reduces time-to-vape while keeping the mass flow rate mostly based on the power setting.

Most folks are not testing thermodynamics, however, so Preheat Punch is friendlier and generally good (it can't be misconfigured horribly).

The option existed in all earlier version of EScribe 2.0 as well. It's just specific to DNA 75 Color.

All non-75C-users: Ignore the temp und punch-settings. It's not a bug but indeed what you can set in Windows-Escribe for the 75C (and only for it), too.

So far running finde under Sierra. The only minor problems I have noticed so far are all UI-Bugs:

- Sometimes the UI doesn't show when switching via a tab e.g. to MOD-settings. UI does show when resizing the app-window

- Fonts seem to have sometimes a size too big to show all info in some dialogs, e.g. when asking to connect the 75C my Therions name is cut off in the dialog-windows

28 minutes ago, James said:

Preheat Punch is a relative temperature (relative to the setpoint - 160F below at 1, 100F below at 5, and 10F below at 11). Preheat Temperature is an absolute temperature.

Great info to know...thanks James!! 

James - Thanks ever so much for starting work on the Mac version of  EScribe.

My experience with EScribe has been similar to others. EScribe Launches on my Mac running El Capitan but no window appears for EScribe.

I have another Mac running Sierra that I use to record an eagle nest live stream during daylight hours so I will try Escribe on that Mac after dark.

This is the Console output when launching on El Capitan:
7/7/17 8:02:37.247 AM lsd[339]: LaunchServices: Could not store lsd-identifiers file at /private/var/db/lsd/com.apple.lsdschemes.plist
7/7/17 8:02:38.985 AM launchservicesd[82]: SecTaskLoadEntitlements failed error=22
7/7/17 8:02:38.996 AM launchservicesd[82]: SecTaskLoadEntitlements failed error=22
7/7/17 8:02:39.396 AM appleeventsd[56]: SecTaskLoadEntitlements failed error=22
7/7/17 8:02:45.663 AM launchservicesd[82]: SecTaskLoadEntitlements failed error=22
7/7/17 8:02:45.664 AM launchservicesd[82]: SecTaskLoadEntitlements failed error=22
7/7/17 8:02:47.101 AM launchservicesd[82]: SecTaskLoadEntitlements failed error=22
7/7/17 8:03:06.000 AM syslogd[47]: ASL Sender Statistics
7/7/17 8:03:09.910 AM sharedfilelistd[360]: SecTaskLoadEntitlements failed error=22

9 hours ago, James said:

Hmm. Go to Applications with Finder, right click EScribe Suite.app and click Show Package Contents. Then, go to Contents, MacOS, and double click RunProgram. Doing this shows more information while the program is starting. What error (if any) does it show when you do this?

/Applications/EScribe\ Suite.app/Contents/MacOS/RunProgram ; exit;
Mini-TV:~ peggyTV$ /Applications/EScribe\ Suite.app/Contents/MacOS/RunProgram ; exit;
DE-SingleInstance-EScribe : Mutex Timed Out
DE-SingleInstance-EScribe-Main : Mutex Timed Out
Starting run loop
Started run loop
Stopping run loop
Stopped run loop
Benchmark: Settings took 209.116 ms.

Benchmark: Register took 73.1876 ms.

Benchmark: Language took 115.2983 ms.

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path '/Applications/EScribe Suite.app/Contents/Resources/EScribe Suite/Resources/EScribe.Common/Skins'.
  at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError (System.Int32 errorCode, System.String maybeFullPath) [0x000f7] in <3fa441acb6894d4aa42ab4b0403fb297>:0 
  at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1[TSource].HandleError (System.Int32 hr, System.String path) [0x00006] in <3fa441acb6894d4aa42ab4b0403fb297>:0 
  at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1[TSource].CommonInit () [0x00054] in <3fa441acb6894d4aa42ab4b0403fb297>:0 
  at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1[TSource]..ctor (System.String path, System.String originalUserPath, System.String searchPattern, System.IO.SearchOption searchOption, System.IO.SearchResultHandler`1[TSource] resultHandler, System.Boolean checkHost) [0x000d6] in <3fa441acb6894d4aa42ab4b0403fb297>:0 
  at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableFactory.CreateFileNameIterator (System.String path, System.String originalUserPath, System.String searchPattern, System.Boolean includeFiles, System.Boolean includeDirs, System.IO.SearchOption searchOption, System.Boolean checkHost) [0x00009] in <3fa441acb6894d4aa42ab4b0403fb297>:0 
  at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames (System.String path, System.String userPathOriginal, System.String searchPattern, System.Boolean includeFiles, System.Boolean includeDirs, System.IO.SearchOption searchOption, System.Boolean checkHost) [0x00000] in <3fa441acb6894d4aa42ab4b0403fb297>:0 
  at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFiles (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, System.IO.SearchOption searchOption) [0x00000] in <3fa441acb6894d4aa42ab4b0403fb297>:0 
  at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles (System.String path, System.String searchPattern) [0x0001c] in <3fa441acb6894d4aa42ab4b0403fb297>:0 
  at T.gJ..ctor (System.String , System.String , System.String , System.String , System.Boolean ) [0x00072] in <32593f62c4aa41c8bb5c5a3539615c9c>:0 
Benchmark: Decrypt resource: Branding took 160.0838 ms.

Benchmark: Decrypt resource: Icons took 133.388 ms.

Benchmark: Early Initialization took 614.4132 ms.

Starting run loop
Started run loop
Downloader: Waiting to be asked to check
Benchmark: Decrypt resource: Suite took 143.346 ms.

Benchmark: Tracking: Suite took 1.1087 ms.

Hi @James,

thanks for the great work! I'm testing this on Sierra 10.12.5 on a macbook pro and can confirm everything seems to be working.

I just played with it for a few minutes, the only relevant thing I noticed for now is a very slow reading from the device, it actually takes longer than escribe running on a Windows VM to download the settings from my mods. Perfectly fine for a beta, just wanted to report back...

Firmware-wise, if you remember me from the "Reading ohms to low" thread, can we have some details about what's new with the new SP22 that this beta brings in?

I saw from the terminal that the setting for COB now defaults to 0.63. Anything else we should know related to the problems with TC I gave you feedback about in that other thread?

Thanks.

UPDATE: It seems like after applying SP22, reading from device is now at a "normal" speed, i.e. comparable to what I was used to under Windows in the VM...

Edited by ndb
Update about slow reading from device

vor 10 Stunden schrieb James:

Hi Lowbytes.

Don't worry. On Windows, we support back as far as is practical - XP Service Pack 3. I intend to do a similarly good job of compatibility on MacOS. Guess I'll need to set up some virtual machines to test old versions of MacOS..

Thanks!

James

Hi James - thank you for replying - here´s the output of the procedure:

/Applications/EScribe\ Suite.app/Contents/MacOS/RunProgram ; exit;

Starting run loop

Started run loop

Stopping run loop

Stopped run loop

Benchmark: Settings took 122,5253 ms.

Benchmark: Register took 41,6886 ms.

Benchmark: Language took 73,2616 ms.

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path '/Applications/EScribe Suite.app/Contents/Resources/EScribe Suite/Resources/EScribe.Common/Skins'.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError (System.Int32 errorCode, System.String maybeFullPath) [0x000f7] in <3fa441acb6894d4aa42ab4b0403fb297>:0 

at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1[TSource].HandleError (System.Int32 hr, System.String path) [0x00006] in <3fa441acb6894d4aa42ab4b0403fb297>:0 

at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1[TSource].CommonInit () [0x00054] in <3fa441acb6894d4aa42ab4b0403fb297>:0 

at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1[TSource]..ctor (System.String path, System.String originalUserPath, System.String searchPattern, System.IO.SearchOption searchOption, System.IO.SearchResultHandler`1[TSource] resultHandler, System.Boolean checkHost) [0x000d6] in <3fa441acb6894d4aa42ab4b0403fb297>:0 

at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableFactory.CreateFileNameIterator (System.String path, System.String originalUserPath, System.String searchPattern, System.Boolean includeFiles, System.Boolean includeDirs, System.IO.SearchOption searchOption, System.Boolean checkHost) [0x00009] in <3fa441acb6894d4aa42ab4b0403fb297>:0 

at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames (System.String path, System.String userPathOriginal, System.String searchPattern, System.Boolean includeFiles, System.Boolean includeDirs, System.IO.SearchOption searchOption, System.Boolean checkHost) [0x00000] in <3fa441acb6894d4aa42ab4b0403fb297>:0 

at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFiles (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, System.IO.SearchOption searchOption) [0x00000] in <3fa441acb6894d4aa42ab4b0403fb297>:0 

at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles (System.String path, System.String searchPattern) [0x0001c] in <3fa441acb6894d4aa42ab4b0403fb297>:0 

at T.gJ..ctor (System.String , System.String , System.String , System.String , System.Boolean ) [0x00072] in <32593f62c4aa41c8bb5c5a3539615c9c>:0 

Benchmark: Decrypt resource: Branding took 90,3751 ms.

Benchmark: Decrypt resource: Icons took 82,6098 ms.

Downloader: Waiting to be asked to check

Benchmark: Early Initialization took 359,7932 ms.

Starting run loop

Started run loop

Benchmark: Decrypt resource: Suite took 70,0091 ms.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards 

Mikel

@peraspera, @Lowbytes: I've updated the link with a version that supports OS X El Capitan. Let me know how it works for you :)

@ndb: EScribe caches data the first time it downloads it to speed up future downloads. (Though, I should probably include a pre-filled cache with the download.) So, the first time it is fairly slow. COB is 0.63? It should be 0.063.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James said:

@peraspera, @Lowbytes: I've updated the link with a version that supports OS X El Capitan. Let me know how it works for you :)

Thank you for the EScribe update. :)

The SetupEScribe2_SP4_b2_US downloaded, installed and ran without any issues on El Capitan with my new Therion 75c connected.

This appeared at the top of the screen:
"1.1 SP22 is available! Click here to apply it to your device."

A progress bar also appeared indicating it was downloading settings.

After clicking on the "Click here to apply it to your device" link a window with OK and Cancel options appeared reading,
"Apply Service Pack
A Service Pack is about to be applied.
Before clicking OK, please make sure that the device is idle."

At that point I removed the atty to make sure there would be no oopsie firing during the update.

After clicking the OK button a progress bar appeared reading:
"Please wait
Applying Service Pack"

After the progress bar disappeared\ a window appeared reading:
"Apply Service Pack
Service Pack applied."

I was previously on Revision 21 and am now on Revision 22 so I'm assuming the firmware update was successful. I'm also assuming that Escribe did the firmware update process as expected but this was my first time using the program so I don't know that for a certainty.

17 hours ago, James said:

@ndb: EScribe caches data the first time it downloads it to speed up future downloads. (Though, I should probably include a pre-filled cache with the download.) So, the first time it is fairly slow. COB is 0.63? It should be 0.063.

Unfortunately, my computer is stuck on Mavericks 10.9.5, and I don't have a DNA Color yet, waiting for more companies to start using the new chip in their mods. I just downloaded and installed the latest version, and the apps did LOAD, hopefully they will actually work for me when I get a "C" DNA. Thanks.

Excellent! I am glad it seems to work on 10.9. I don't know of anything that shouldn't work at least back to 10.8, but like the El Capitan compatibility issue, it remains to be seen.

I've set the Mac version to offer a new Service Pack download now, to test the updater functionality. The Service Pack extends the beta to support DNA 60, so that we can work out bugs on the monochrome side as well.