screw stays/spacers for board

epicwood said:

I see some of you guys screwing the board to the side of a gbox or bbox, and i see the spacers. What length/diameter are the spacers, or where can i purchase them from?

Search on eBay for spacer tubes, you can cut them with dremel if too long.

The USB socket is 6.7 mm long add a tenth of mm or two if you don't want this flush with the outside of the case, then subtract the thickness of your case for the length, cut them a little long and sand down to the exact length.  On a Hammond 1590A I used 5.1 mm length made from some micro-bore copper water pipe/tube I had from years ago.

I did something similar but I used square aluminum tubing, I made my posts .195 long, this is the tubing I picked up at the local RC shop Stock# 83010 http://ksmetals.com/25.html

The screws came from old hard drives I stripped down and salvaged the magnets from, the screws held the little pc boards of the HD's and are in varying length, all measure .065 or 1.65mm diameter. These self threading screws bite into the four sides of the tubing and you can hold onto a square easier then a round tube when tightening the screws. I used three screws from the back side of the board to hold the posts to the board then three more screws through the face of the mod into the posts. 

This is a Hammond 1590G I straighten the sides and corners on, I'll also include the pic of the 3M double sided tape I used to mount the screen, this is the tape they use to glue the screen's on ipod's, it works very well and is cheap on amazon.

NOTE: I wouldn't trust this setup as the only ground for the board, chassis and 510, I soldered both the 510 and battery B- right to the pads on the board.

[DSC01795S_zpse4gdibrr] 

[DSC01776S_zpsuhxbjkza] 

[DSC01789S_zpshbjjsdeq]  [DSC01790S_zpsfduwiy3h] 

blueridgedog said:

Nice work.  I will have to build a metal one soon.   What battery?

I used this 1000mAh from Hobby King, I could have gone with a little larger battery for this box but I pulled the trigger early on while waiting for the boards and before doing in depth research. I figured I better order "something" in case there was a mad dash and batteries were suddenly hard to find, ended up they over sold and it got back ordered for a month anyways LoL. I repeatedly requested HK cancel the order because I bought a Flight Power while waiting but they sent it anyways.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11901__Turnigy_nano_tech_1000mah_3S_25_50C_Lipo_Pack.html

• 3 weeks later...
epicwood said:

I see some of you guys screwing the board to the side of a gbox or bbox, and i see the spacers. What length/diameter are the spacers, or where can i purchase them from?

I use these 1.8mm ID Silver tubes combined with some split lock washers and nuts and it works a treat.

I had some small luck finding some #0-80 1 inch spacers on Amazon, but at $25 bucks for a box of 20 I passed on them. Instead, I got a package of #0-80 nuts and some e-z lok thread inserts that I can jb-weld together, worse comes to worse. Check out the e-z loks, they are intended to be used as a threaded insert for plastic but I'm thinking they will work just fine. I'll post some pics up here once they arrive. Definitely a cheaper, easier option it seems... Hoping it works!

• 2 weeks later...

I have some #0-80 1/2" stand offs and some nylon #0-80 screws to fit them, you still have to cut them down to be the right length but they work fairly well, just JBWeld or epoxy them in place... @Willy - Nice work. Man, I wish I could cut a USB cutout that clean, always end up a bit too big... @blueridgedog - There are quite a few batteries that will fit a G box I have a 1350mah 25c that fits pretty well...

KomengzX said:

just wandering, if i want to use bigger screws for example 2mm diameter, have to drill the hole to make it fit.
is it will affect the ground connection between top layer and bottom layer of the PCB?

Good question, when I looked closely at my board there appears to be a sleeve, a lining in the hole connecting the top and bottom pads.