Hello from Mod Crate

Hey Evolv Modders,

Just wanted to show some of what we have been working on. Currently we have Mod Crate Tallboys being milled for the Mamu faceplate. We went this route vs something more fancy and refined as we though it would be a great entry level enclosure for new modders. It offers plenty of room and the Mamu faceplate is incredibly easy to install brining the difficulty level down significantly. 

In the future we will have some boxes with integrated mounting points and cut outs for the reference case button actuators.

Is there anything specifically this community of DNA users would like to see? What gives you guys a headache when building DNA/DNA200D mods? We like running our machines but we like solving problems even more.

Russ 
Mod Crate

11921752_505582732949246_6046204358303910139_o.jpg

11958182_505582889615897_1619332129382071946_o.jpg

11951548_505582906282562_5984929117081514363_o.jpg

11781643_505000623007457_1039423907271987410_n.jpg

11938004_505000616340791_2017505722032475529_n.jpg

That's all nice but why would you want to put a face plate in a box when the back interior of the 1590 A you make could be milled to have standoffs for mounting, display window, USB hole and button holes?
I have plans to mill a press in structure that will do the equivalent of the mentioned.  I'm not CNC equipped or I'd be doing it myself, it's a different world hand cracking everything!

Russ ModCrate said:

Hey Evolv Modders,

Just wanted to show some of what we have been working on. Currently we have Mod Crate Tallboys being milled for the Mamu faceplate. We went this route vs something more fancy and refined as we though it would be a great entry level enclosure for new modders. It offers plenty of room and the Mamu faceplate is incredibly easy to install brining the difficulty level down significantly. 

In the future we will have some boxes with integrated mounting points and cut outs for the reference case button actuators.

Is there anything specifically this community of DNA users would like to see? What gives you guys a headache when building DNA/DNA200D mods? We like running our machines but we like solving problems even more.

Russ 
Mod Crate

They look pretty nice...how much are they gonna cost?

The most critical need for a good DNA200 mod, both for the one off DIY guy and for the 100 at a time artisan shop, is the evolv 510.  The extra pressure from the wave spring and the method of stopping the downward travel of the support (the C clip vs threaded plastic) should become standard.  Additionally, if you are mounting the box into the cnc machine why not cut away less material and have the right holes for the ship vs needing another part?

Hello Russ,

So happy to see you here and asking for feedback! At some point I was planning on contacting one of you folks who make the CNC boxes to see if you would milled the boxes making them a drop in for the 510, board, buttons and screen. Seeing what others had done, stealing some ideas, coming up with some of my own, I built a couple mod's using Hammond boxes that I straighten the sides and hand filed the openings for the screen and usb port, one was a G and one an A box. More so in the A box, the mounting locations for the board and 510 is critical and every bit of space is valuable. I'd like to build some more G & A box mods, here's a few of my thoughts on them;

I'd like to see the screw posts in the four corners milled away as much as possible, mill away the corners below the point where the screw ends or where the magnets are seated. The shorter the screw used for the cover the better, the more of the corner post that can be removed the better, the more you can make the remaining corner thinner the better. That corner would allow more space for wire routing and a place to tuck connectors. Myself, I rather have screws for the lid, really no reason to open these up unless it needs servicing, Torx or allen headed screws would be a nice touch!

In the A I would keep the 510 centered in the top of the box, moving it closer to the board may be a problem but that all depends on the 510 used, how heavy the wire for the 510 is, how high the board is mounted and the size of the battery.

I'd like to see you mill the box so we could drop the board right in the box without the use of a face plate, like my pics below. I'd like to see the the box with the board mounting holes for the screws either drilled and tapped or as you spoke of, the mounting pads part of the box, the later would be better. I'd also suggest lowering the screen opening a little to help with the issue of the ribbon cable for the screen staying clear of the fire button. Personally, if using openings in the side of the box rather then a face plate I rather see simple round buttons, I think they blend well with this style box. I like the reference case buttons, they look great on that box but out of place on a box like mine. I can make my own round buttons so I'd like to see the boxes offered with just small holes drilled for the buttons then I can open them up to match the buttons I make. Of course if you offered some round buttons with the box drilled to match it would save me time and I'd be interested! 

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

[DSC01813_zpsxs0atec5]  [DSC01812_zpszug80gmf]

Awesome thanks for all the responses guys. There are a few reasons we started off the way we have.

[QUOTE]That's all nice but why would you want to put a face plate in a box when the back interior of the 1590 A you make could be milled to have standoffs for mounting, display window, USB hole and button holes?/QUOTE]

Why did we go with a face plate for our first DNA200 enclosure?

Well a few simple reasons. The specific faceplate is popular and designed by a respected member of the modding community.  We stayed away from internal mounting points this time because it minimizes working inside the confines of the enclosure. Additionally the goal of this project was price point and end user success rate, with a mostly finished faceplate and precut enclosure there is very little risk that button holes wont line up properly.

We have more enclosures in the works however we expect them to be significantly more expensive, for these enclosures we are considering using the Evolv 510 it really depends how popular it becomes for DIY modders in general. IMG_1503.jpg  IMG_1533.jpg  IMG_1532.jpg

FullSizeRender_37.jpg

Like others have said, the box looks really nice, but why don't you just mill your own faceplate from aluminum, rather than relying on another provider? In my opinion, thaT would be simplifying it much more. EDIT: I just read your reply. My only other question is, is it safe to say these will only fit the lipo 3s 900mah batteries?

Is there any way to make or modify the mamu faceplate to fit the reference buttons......I absolutely hate them round buttons on that faceplate especially matching color....It looks cheap imho......I would love a B or G box with the cutouts already milled for the square reference buttons or a faceplate with them in it......Of course I would want the recessed 510 as well.....I like where u guys are going though and will have my business once a bigger box is offered

Russ ModCrate said:

Hey Evolv Modders,

Russ 
Mod Crate

Do you have these for purchase on your website yet? I looked, but I couldn't tell definitively.

If you are getting the boxes already milled and just cutting the opening, the I understand why you would be reluctant to cut the matching holes as you would still have the chip mounting concern.  I have made a 1.5mm bezel that will epoxy onto the inside of the enclosure and features chip mounting holes, so you could still mount the chip in a sled, but have the finished metal on the customer side.

I'd love to see something DNA 200 focused like varitube did with the beginners kit, even if it uses a 3D printed faceplate, it would help a lot of "not quite modders" get their feet wet so to speak. You could use your box plus the faceplate and mounts but include instructions, wire, and connectors, and they could just order the battery and get to assembling. Basically all they'd need is the lipo, if you want to avoid shipping and supporting lipo batteries.

THE EVOLV 510 IS fantastic! ! It solves most connection issues with bad connections in attys by using the wave spring they used.....its also a lot beefier and basically 1 part .....The 510 an insulator and a c clip holds it all together. ..I want to strongly suggest MOD - CRATE to PLEASE start manufacturing and carrying them! !!! I knows us Modders want them so bad and I know they will sell like crack on your end lol!! Also I'd like to see a B box with the recessed 510 and the buttons and window all cut out instead of a faceplate ...Also I want to see the reference square buttons in that same B box just like u guys show in your pic's that u r making the buttons now....Please Consider and I'm totally fine with a higher cost....maybe anodised them different colors to or I'd really love a rubbery flat black finish just like a Vapor Shark.....I painted my beta reference box I got from EVOLV this way and love it!!!

we can manufacture them however it's not our design and we don't intend to clone one of our suppliers products without permission. We haven't asked but I'm gonna go ahead and assume this is something they would like to keep for themselves. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that it is an excellent designed connector. As far as a 1590 be enclosure goes that is in the works as well as a few other things.

Russ ModCrate said:

we can manufacture them however it's not our design and we don't intend to clone one of our suppliers products without permission. We haven't asked but I'm gonna go ahead and assume this is something they would like to keep for themselves. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that it is an excellent designed connector. As far as a 1590 be enclosure goes that is in the works as well as a few other things.

I wrote out a long reply and the realized you're talking about the 510 and not the screen lol. Oops.