Evolv reference case

macz said:

[QUOTE=macz]Sales live for the case, start shipping on Jan 6th :thumb:
http:// http://modcrate.myshopify.com/products/silo-6061

@Mac
Based on dutycalculator.com but I could be wrong. The shipping cost based on First Class International Package(no Insurance included)
Total customs value (CIF):£38.73This is the amount that customs values your import at
- Duty:£0.00
- VAT:£7.75
Total import duty & taxes due:£7.75This is the amount that needs to be paid to customs
- Product, shipping & insurance:£38.73
Total landed cost:£46.47This is the total cost of importing, including product, shipping, insurance and import duty & taxes
  at exchange rate of 1 GBP = 1.47 USD
[/QUOTE]
You forgot the Royal Mail handling charge of at least £8, so to the UK they will be at least £54.47.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russ ModCrate said:

Is that the total cost for importing or is that all an additional fee

Because USPS are delivered by Royal Mail (regular mail service) they surcharge you on top of the duty. 

IIRC the duty is added at Heathrow, then it gets to the local sorting office and they just post a card though the door saying you have a package with duty to pay and you have to go to your local sorting office to pay (duty + handling charge) and pick up.  The handling charge is £8, but I have heard of people being charged even more. 

The Duty (if value of goods not inc shipping > £15 and < £135) is only Value Added Tax 20%

http://www.dutycalculator.com/country-guides/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-the-United-Kingdom/

Thanks for the info, VapingBad, 

I would just about  stretch to this if I could get an Evolv 510 at a sensible price but the shipping alone at Protovapor for their 510 is a  minimum of $27 bringing the price with mounting hardware to almost $50 before even factoring in VAT/import/royal mail charges.

I have sent an inquiry off to Evolv about them supplying 510s.

If there is a way to place some of these enclosures with a UK supplier
either with Evolv 510 connectors or changed to fit FDV/Varitube 510s that would 
be great.

EDIT - If anyone in the UK can supply me with just ONE Evolv 510 please
let me know and I will be ordering a modcrate enclosure straight away!

Personally I wouldn't want anything other than than the Evolv 510.

I agree with VB that those in the UK that are interested get together and buy the enclosure DNA200 etc, and 510 in quantity for the best deal. Shipping from Protovapor for single 510 is a deal breaker for me.

Also, duty etc is a bit of a lottery, I have had items that 'slipped' through with nothing to pay, plus it depends on how the supplier fills in the customs form!

We are working on an adapter and spacer so FDV 510s can be used. If you do pick up a connector for protovapor you do not need the mounting hardware the 1/2" threading is plenty to retain the 510 you can just run some solder from GND out to the nearest mounting pad to make the electrical connection. These will be offered anodized at some point.

Russ ModCrate said:

You don't have to but if you tighten the boards down all the way it just meant buttons don't actuate very well so instead of having a questionable mechanical connection we ran solder

Wouldn't grinding a little of the back of the button actuators fix that and allow the board to be tighten down fully for a good common ground connection?

I'm not sure if they are manufacturing their own version from my understanding there have been some QA issues with the 510 and we are looking into manufacturing the connector ourselves. As of this moment yes protovapor is the best place to pick up the connector you do not need the mounting hardware with this case.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got 3 of the Mod Crate boxes and am very impressed with the quality everything fits very well, you do need to sand the back of the buttons a little and the board mount holes are not tapped both of which are no problem at all.  They come with hex socket screws for the case and torx 5 screws for the boards (1 set was black so I will uses ss ones I had already).  I will post some more details and pics in a few days, just a heads up they did a great job.

VapingBad said:

I just got 3 of the Mod Crate boxes and am very impressed with the quality everything fits very well, you do need to sand the back of the buttons a little and the board mount holes are not tapped both of which are no problem at all.  They come with hex socket screws for the case and torx 5 screws for the boards (1 set was black so I will uses ss ones I had already).  I will post some more details and pics in a few days, just a heads up they did a great job.

hey VB, how long from ordering to shipping notification?