Wismec RX200 to DNA 200 Conversion

NoveskeN4

Hello! I have been looking all over this site; however, I still can't seem to find anyone talking about converting the RX200 to a DNA200. I was thinking about doing it for a friend since he already has 9 DNA200 boards. I will be pulling one apart tonight to figure this all out.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything is identical on the exterior apart from the screen position. The RX sits marginally higher. The prototype version of the DNA 200 model was exactly the same. I put both the retail versions in Photoshop at the same angle to compare. I still don't have my RX to check the internals.

RunsWithOtter said:

This is off topic from the original post, but does the RX200 work similarly to the DNA200 chip where the rated minimums are just for the full range of watts, or is the chip set to those being the absolute minimums like the snowwolf/etc? .1 kanthal seemed a little high to be a final product.

Its, Joytech, board is a cheap non-programmable (firmware upgrade only) with Ni200, SS (guessing a Chinese equivalent to SS316L) and Titanium TC support .. plus VW mode. I'd also guess a PWM power vs a much smoother DC-DC as with Evolv.  

Specs: Resistance range: 0.05-1.0ohm for TC-Ni/TC-Ti/TC-SS mode; 0.1-3.5ohm for VW mode

The eVic has crap board with a huge screen .. this has a small screen. I don't own one, I'm ordering one out of curiosity...

VapingBad, the screen is not bigger. Take a real look at it. The screen on the RX sits externally as opposed to internally like the DNA. They literally just filled up the beveled screen port with glass. That's why it looks larger. Dimensionally they are the same. I just looked at the sled, too, for where the board sits. It only needs slight modification. So this is absolutely possible.

Jaquith said:

[QUOTE=RunsWithOtter]This is off topic from the original post, but does the RX200 work similarly to the DNA200 chip where the rated minimums are just for the full range of watts, or is the chip set to those being the absolute minimums like the snowwolf/etc? .1 kanthal seemed a little high to be a final product.

Its, Joytech, board is a cheap non-programmable (firmware upgrade only) with Ni200, SS (guessing a Chinese equivalent to SS316L) and Titanium TC support .. plus VW mode. I'd also guess a PWM power vs a much smoother DC-DC as with Evolv.  

Specs: Resistance range: 0.05-1.0ohm for TC-Ni/TC-Ti/TC-SS mode; 0.1-3.5ohm for VW mode

The eVic has crap board with a huge screen .. this has a small screen. I don't own one, I'm ordering one out of curiosity...[/QUOTE] actually by typing "RX200 DC-DC" into my favorite search engine, Dogpile, I've stumbled across some perhaps unreliable websites claiming that Wismec released information on the RX200 and stated that it indeed was DC-DC aswell though a superior in-house "copy"--I cannot remember the word which irritates me, but it is when a team takes a competitor's product apart and makes their own better or cheaper what have you

UKDTweak said:

Or CLONED!
But i doubt Joytech have the ability in their tech department and hence why it does not have the added Evolv features of escribe and profiles.

Lol, I always took people using the word "clone" as a slang for bootleg but perhaps I was mistaken

W124l29 said:

actually by typing "RX200 DC-DC" into my favorite search engine, Dogpile, I've stumbled across some perhaps unreliable websites claiming that Wismec released information on the RX200 and stated that it indeed was DC-DC aswell though a superior in-house "copy"--I cannot remember the word which irritates me, but it is when a team takes a competitor's product apart and makes their own better or cheaper what have you

As I mentioned there in the end I plan on ordering one, most of my go-to builds are Titanium so I'm confident I can get it to work. Voltage is the key to avoid PWM, some people it doesn't bother .. PWM annoys me but if I exactly dial-in the wattage or Joules I can minimize its effects. Since the Mod, I assume, is serial it should not pulse. It's cheap in a good way. So we'll see, I'm waiting for batch (debugged) two or later this month. ;-)

Jaquith said:

[QUOTE=W124l29]actually by typing "RX200 DC-DC" into my favorite search engine, Dogpile, I've stumbled across some perhaps unreliable websites claiming that Wismec released information on the RX200 and stated that it indeed was DC-DC aswell though a superior in-house "copy"--I cannot remember the word which irritates me, but it is when a team takes a competitor's product apart and makes their own better or cheaper what have you

As I mentioned there in the end I plan on ordering one, most of my go-to builds are Titanium so I'm confident I can get it to work. Voltage is the key to avoid PWM, some people it doesn't bother .. PWM annoys me but if I exactly dial-in the wattage or Joules I can minimize its effects. Since the Mod, I assume, is serial it should not pulse. It's cheap in a good way. So we'll see, I'm waiting for batch (debugged) two or later this month. ;-)[/QUOTE] I don't have an engineering background as I'm still an undergraduate student studying for eventual MBA-JD joint degree w/ history background, but I'd say I'm quick enough to understand an explanation of how these chips work. I haven't been able to find, less some schematics, press releases, & spec sheets, any solid 3rd party information as to what limits chips to certain wattages, and whether firmware updates to say the DNA200 chip would hypothetically allow for it to function at a higher wattage?

Would anyone be able to explain, and I don't need an entirely layman description, whether the batteries or the chip are what hold the wattage back from being say 250 or 300W? Is it the soldering slash material quality of the chip limiting its wattage rating, as I assume all electricity passes through slash over the chip directly? I would assume that the cylindrical Li-Ion is superior to the pouch Li-Po type for power but the Li-Po is better for those looking for a lighter mod?

I'm torn between three mods one of which I will buy within the coming week: Wismec Reuleaux RX200; Wismec Reuleaux DNA200; Vapor Shark DNA200. I've had terrible customer relations with the guys at Vapor Flask, which I realize are a separate entity from Vapor Shark and so is why I am willing to give Shark a try coupled with the physical mod itself having a nice rubberised finish. I suppose my question would be there whether anyone who owns an RX200 and has expertise on any level can checkout the board's manufacturing quality by eye alone, and how that would compare to the DNA200? Granted an equal manufacturing quality, I suppose it would go to preference, but if indeed the DNA200 chip is superior in manufacturing: which would people recommend based solely upon reliability & battery life, the Reuleaux or the Vapor Shark? I realize that I've packed quite a bit into a few extended questions, and so I might just create a separate thread for this but it seemed a relevant place to post it to start.

If I had to pick one DNA 200 Mod then I'd choose the Vapor Shark. It's small, properly set up out of the box, very comfortable, light and the only built-in 2A charging. I have a ton of DNA 200's. Now if you like uber high wattage builds and a little bulky then the Reuleaux DNA 200 Mod. The reason for 75W ... 200W limits are primarily due to the limits of the batteries. Sure you can get a 2,000-7,000 mAh 30C or higher C (high Amperage) LiPo or better LiFePO4 and frankly many do but they vape on unregulated Mods. To regulate it's a combination of higher voltage at higher amperage. After 20A~23A even the DNA 200 'pulses' through regulating voltage but in doing so through the DC-DC can provide 50A~55A. DC-DC https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC-to-DC_converter For unregulated Mods refer to Ohm's Law 250W requires 67A http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator Now the DNA 200 could in theory deliver 250W but in a very small resistance range, as it is now appx 0.08-0.40 Ohm in Kanthal mode is the window for 200W. Refer to the DNA 200 specs http://www.evolvapor.com/datasheet/dna200.pdf

Is this project even worth anyones time? I could see if you were making some thing unique or some thing thats not readily available  out there.
These mods are available for purchase with a DNA 200, Why buy the cheep mod, a chip and do all this modding, to save 25 bucks?
Complete waste of time IMO. Just buy one with a DNA200 :)