Battery sleds

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's the Fat Daddy vapes one mentioned in post 18 earlier in this thread.

The solder ring is a bit flimsy for 14 gauge and the nut only clamps it to the nylon disc. I did away with it and soldered direct to the nut
then encapsulated it in Sugru.

There was no need to slice into the tube but I felt it would give my less than dexterous hands a bit more room to work.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a video on youtube showing how much lipos expand and shrink through charging and discharging cycles. And it was surprising quite a lot. Either in that same video or another one explained why 18650s and other canned cylinder shaped batteries don't. The videos must have been over a month back, because I can't find them in my history.

Yes of course. Although I was thinking of during normal operation. I believe one of the videos mentioned the reason why 18650s doesn't swell like lipos is because they are wrapped too tight to swell. And if it is physically impossible to swell during normal operation like 18650s, you give up additional capacity.

I've read in 'Battery University' that cylindrical batteries don't expand.

The battery is quite a loose fit in the tube diameter wise, and any slight expansion in the length, if there were any, will result in a more secure connection and be taken up by the give in the pos terminal.

Don't forget that the brass tube will expand also.

I don't think battery expansion with this setup is a issue.