EScribe Software

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vaper said:

Now they'll have to contact someone else. They've had enough time to reply in this thread or shoot me a PM. Their silence also means I'm not going to buy the DNA200 so goodbye everybody.

You could just PM them straight after your 1st offering post actually but since you made up your mind, then :hug:

To Brandon and John: I know you said you have no plans for a Mac version of the EScribe software. Here's something to think about. I'm a professional Linux kernel developer with 9 years of experience. I've also done work on KDE and various other Linux applications and I've also worked for Intel and IBM. Give me a NDA to sign and I will port it to Mac and maintain it.

Linux wouldn't hurt me any. I'm not much of a Windohs fan. 

It is a holiday weekend in the US and they are trying to get a product launch out. I think you are over reacting, this is still being developed and they correctly decided to choose the platform that would support the highest number of users first.  Because this has to access hardware devices writing a web or multi platform app is a lot more complicated because of the different security requirements and harware layer abstractions all of which need testing to separately for each platform.  Let them get it stable on Windows and then take that codebase and convert it. 

John from Evolv has posted several times in this thread after I made the offer. If Evolv was interested all had to do was say, "thank you, I'll take you up on your offer when things settle down." He didn't do that. Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore and this will be my last post. Have fun with your DNA200's.

Edit: Okay, so something weird is going on here. I just checked my gmail and there was a notification about a PM I received on this board. It didn't show up for me here, I had zero notifications which is why I didn't know about it. Anyway, Brandon sent me a PM and they discussed my proposal they day after I made it. Maybe something is going to come out of this after all.

Maybe someone wants to tag team on doing not only a Mac but also a Linux release to get things done faster? I can do them both myself but it will take a lot longer. I have a full time job and can only work on it in the evening.

If you want to come work for us here in Ohio, send us a resume. We are always looking to hire truly superior talent. 

We are not interested in having ports done out of house on a volunteer basis. It is too big a project for that to remain workable long-term.  

John said:

If you want to come work for us here in Ohio, send us a resume.

That won't be possible because I live in The Netherlands. So, I guess that's it then. Everyone on Mac or Linux, don't expect a port any time soon. At least not done by me.

I'm really sad to hear about that Vapor! I really do hope Evolv do get something going for other operating systems other than windows though. My laptop is a Chromebook which I'm able to run Ubuntu through and I am able to get the Escribe application to open using playonlinux to install it how ever I'm sure drivers and stuff are required to actually be able to do anything. I just tried out of curiosity although I don't own a dna200 board. Smok seem to have a good idea using Bluetooth to communicate with smart phones although I understand what they are offering is completely different to this. Although I'm not a developer or anything I think a web based Escribe service would allow it to reach more computers over different operating systems and from there have the web service detect your operating system and allow you to download any required drivers. How hard that would be to do I don't know as like I say I am not a developer / programmer etc

SteveAdams86 said:

I'm really sad to hear about that Vapor! I really do hope Evolv do get something going for other operating systems other than windows though. My laptop is a Chromebook which I'm able to run Ubuntu through and I am able to get the Escribe application to open using playonlinux to install it how ever I'm sure drivers and stuff are required to actually be able to do anything. I just tried out of curiosity although I don't own a dna200 board. Smok seem to have a good idea using Bluetooth to communicate with smart phones although I understand what they are offering is completely different to this. Although I'm not a developer or anything I think a web based Escribe service would allow it to reach more computers over different operating systems and from there have the web service detect your operating system and allow you to download any required drivers. How hard that would be to do I don't know as like I say I am not a developer / programmer etc

What all you non windows users need to realise is that you are the minority, the majority use windows, thus most companies need to prioritise resources when making software. I see so many people complaining at the lack of support for operating systems other than windows, you knew when using a non window OS that software support would be greatly limited.

I have a question about the software. Have thought about just making it available as an open source project? It's not like China isn't going to clone it anyway. Hell, they're probably working on it already. Anyway, having a large group of people working on it speeds up development and it doesn't cost you a thing. You wouldn't even have to invest in porting it to Mac and Linux as the community could handle it. Another benefit would be that you would create a real community and a large base of loyal customers. The only thing you have to do is make sure your boards are of superior quality to keep your customer base. From where I'm sitting, I see no advantages to keeping it locked down.

John said:

We are not interested in having ports done out of house on a volunteer basis. It is too big a project for that to remain workable long-term.  

And btw, have you ever heard of a little something called the Linux kernel and the GNU project? Those are developed and maintained mostly by volunteers.

dwaindablane said:

[QUOTE=SteveAdams86]I'm really sad to hear about that Vapor! I really do hope Evolv do get something going for other operating systems other than windows though. My laptop is a Chromebook which I'm able to run Ubuntu through and I am able to get the Escribe application to open using playonlinux to install it how ever I'm sure drivers and stuff are required to actually be able to do anything. I just tried out of curiosity although I don't own a dna200 board. Smok seem to have a good idea using Bluetooth to communicate with smart phones although I understand what they are offering is completely different to this. Although I'm not a developer or anything I think a web based Escribe service would allow it to reach more computers over different operating systems and from there have the web service detect your operating system and allow you to download any required drivers. How hard that would be to do I don't know as like I say I am not a developer / programmer etc

What all you non windows users need to realise is that you are the minority, the majority use windows, thus most companies need to prioritise resources when making software. I see so many people complaining at the lack of support for operating systems other than windows, you knew when using a non window OS that software support would be greatly limited.[/QUOTE]

In all honesty I chose not to buy windows because I don't like it and find it very frustrating, software updates take for ever and virus protection slows it all down, disk defragmentation takes time and you need to spend alot of time or money to get something which performs well. I got a chromebook to avoid all that as i use the computer for mostly web based stuff and anything i cant do on chrome os i can use ubuntu for with a few short clicks iv got 2 os' running! Lets not make this about windows vs xxxx cos yeah windows has buy far the the largest support for 3rd party software... Take a website like http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and you find all 3 major PC os are catered for and granted google is somewhat larger than Evolv. What someone else said about open sourcing it would be great how ever i feel its unlikey to happen.

Linux on the desktop is not even an asterisk's worth of marketshare. Will we do a Mac version? Yes. Will we do it by a programmer employed by Evolv, in house? Yes. If you feel that smok makes a better product or has a better direction, feel free to go buy their configurable 200w product. If you feel smugly assured that there will be a clone product eventually, I agree there probably will. Feel free to buy that. Let me know how that goes. Or don't let me know. We aren't doing a Linux port and we aren't interested in volunteers programming.

John said:

Linux on the desktop is not even an asterisk's worth of marketshare. Will we do a Mac version? Yes. Will we do it by a programmer employed by Evolv, in house? Yes. If you feel that smok makes a better product or has a better direction, feel free to go buy their configurable 200w product. If you feel smugly assured that there will be a clone product eventually, I agree there probably will. Feel free to buy that. Let me know how that goes. Or don't let me know. We aren't doing a Linux port and we aren't interested in volunteers programming.

I was more interested in the DNA 200 than smok one, i thought i was clear on that, perhaps not. Any way thanks for clearing up about Linux, its a shame how ever i get it is a small market share... 

I do know that the escribe software will load on linux as iv done that using playonlinux / wine. If it were just a driver we needed that might make less work for your selves. But yeah i'll see what i get eventually as theres loads of stuff out there right now but your software has grabbed my interest

The DNA 200 communicates over USB HID, as well as supplying a standard USB CDC serial port (/dev/ttyACM0 on Linux). We intentionally chose standard protocols so as to not require drivers on less common platforms. If you want to get it running on Wine, you'll want to contribute USB HID support to that project. Wine has needed that for a while -- it could use Dymo scales, many embedded programming tools, etc. if it had it. I don't think it would be a very large project, as the kernel hidraw is very similar to Windows's HID.

John said:

What you're saying right here proves to me you are a hardware company first and foremost and have little experience in developing software. Do you even have an idea of how the modern world of software development works? Judging by your comment, I'm guessing you don't. It is the norm these days to hire "out of house" software engineers because finding talented people located near where you are set up is a very difficult thing to do. Intel, IBM, Red Hat (my current employer), Google, AMD... the list goes on, they all do it. My colleagues are located all over the world. Talk about smug when you don't even have a clue what you're talking about. And good luck finding someone with my experience conveniently located near you or willing to move to Ohio. Do you really think someone else with my experience who can pick and choose what company to work for from the comfort of their own home is going to pack up and move to Ohio? If you do, you're delusional. So, good luck with that.

Vaper said:

What you're saying right here proves to me you are a hardware company first and foremost and have little experience in developing software. Do you even have an idea of how the modern world of software development works? Judging by your comment, I'm guessing you don't. It is the norm these days to hire "out of house" software engineers because finding talented people located near where you are set up is a very difficult thing to do. Intel, IBM, Red Hat (my current employer), Google, AMD... the list goes on, they all do it. My colleagues are located all over the world. Talk about smug when you don't even have a clue what you're talking about. And good luck finding someone with my experience conveniently located near you or willing to move to Ohio. Do you really think someone else with my experience who can pick and choose what company to work for from home is going to pack up and move to Ohio? If you do, you're delusional. So, good luck with that.

Duh. They are a hardware company. 

Take your ball and go home already. You're just embarrassing yourself.

Vaper said:

What you're saying right here proves to me you are a hardware company first and foremost and have little experience in developing software. Do you even have an idea of how the modern world of software development works? Judging by your comment, I'm guessing you don't. It is the norm these days to hire "out of house" software engineers because finding talented people located near where you are set up is a very difficult thing to do. Intel, IBM, Red Hat (my current employer), Google, AMD... the list goes on, they all do it. My colleagues are located all over the world. Talk about smug when you don't even have a clue what you're talking about. And good luck finding someone with my experience conveniently located near you or willing to move to Ohio. Do you really think someone else with my experience who can pick and choose what company to work for from home is going to pack up and move to Ohio? If you do, you're delusional. So, good luck with that.

Dude, you just can't stop do you?

I think it's time for the moderators to lock this thread.

Vaper, you offered your services and John has made it clear their stance on the subject ACCEPT IT DUDE.

As I stated above most of the world use Windows, I personally use Windows and Linux and I like both for different reasons. But attacking them isn't going to help.

James said:

The DNA 200 communicates over USB HID, as well as supplying a standard USB CDC serial port (/dev/ttyACM0 on Linux). We intentionally chose standard protocols so as to not require drivers on less common platforms. If you want to get it running on Wine, you'll want to contribute USB HID support to that project. Wine has needed that for a while -- it could use Dymo scales, many embedded programming tools, etc. if it had it. I don't think it would be a very large project, as the kernel hidraw is very similar to Windows's HID.

As not a developer / programmer I had to google each of those things to find out what they are! Im glad your using standard protocols as im sure it will make life easier if anyone does get it going on linux! I have no idea how to contribute towards USB HID or Dymo scales but by the sounds of it if the software is already able to work on linux through wine and your using standard protocols it doesn't sound bad for someone who knows what they are doing to get it to work. Someone like Vaper...