EScribe Software

SSV said:

on a slightly whimsical, side note.....is there provision for bottom of the range scalars of sub zero temperatures.....you know just in case someone wants to vape accurately in the frozen tundra ? :crazy:

Last winter, weren't there some people complaining that their DNA40s didn't work correctly if they were exposed to really low temperatures for a while?  ;) 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rossum said:

[QUOTE=SSV]on a slightly whimsical, side note.....is there provision for bottom of the range scalars of sub zero temperatures.....you know just in case someone wants to vape accurately in the frozen tundra ? :crazy:

Last winter, weren't there some people complaining that their DNA40s didn't work correctly if they were exposed to really low temperatures for a while?  ;) [/QUOTE]

considering the metrology standard for calibrations is 27 deg C....I suppose they could have a valid problem....but they could always just breath really heavily onto their coils....might bring the resistance up enough to let the controller catch it :D

(how awkward would the be.....)

Alexander Mundy said:

I am fairly certain I read somewhere that it would only take increasing resistance values but I can't find the reference. I remember because I saw a curve one time that plateaued and went back down before increasing again and it made me think about what would happen in a closed loop system with simple resistance feedback.

@Alexander Mundy, you probably saw it in my thread, I know I mentioned it anyway.

[image]

What kind of wire do you have that exhibits that sort of positive to negative to positive temperature coefficient? To bring curves in, the .CSV is temperature, resistance, with resistance normalized to 70f. No programming required. The coil calculator on the steam engine site is formatted properly to bring them straight in. The problem with wires that don't have a strictly increasing slope is that the temperature would be ambiguous, a reaistance could map to as many as three different temperatures. But we can probably come up with something if we need to. What kind of wire is it? (Pm me if it is proprietary)

It's proprietary John.....I will PM, but I think the issue can be easily solved with some hysterisis in the range that the resistance "porpoises"

I am going to demo the software/hardware as soon as it all lands and see if this non-linear behavior is a "problem"....our wire doesn't exhibit this until oxidation temps (900 deg C).  However I can see some scenarios where there could be issues....being able to adjust that discreet range where one wire or another becomes non-linear, would be a HUGE benefit for my plans (possibly others).  As my goal is to provide customers of our wires a "preset" for each unique product.  A way to ensure that they can follow appropriate build guidelines with each of our wire products. 

For example we all know the massive discrepancy between YiHi chips and the dna40....in terms of accuracy.  I am not so bothered that there is a temp offset, but more so bothered that the determination of sDEV between both devices is so wide.  The dna40 is OBVIOUSLY more accurate, even with wires other than Ni200.....I would venture to say even more accurate than the evic VT in "Ti" mode (with titanium).

The issue is not all titanium grades, or processing variations equal the same PTC.  Obviously this goes for alloys of Titanium as well as diameter changes etc etc etc....

So being able to "correct" the baselines and scalars for each discreet property would be very beneficial to my intent.  Thankfully we have the equipment to characterize these properties, but we still need a place to plug in the numbers....and account for some hysteresis....to combat non-linearities

Yes, we are very much hoping that wire suppliers will publish compatible curves that match exactly the wire they are supplying. I know titanium wires are a major headache in this regard. As your wire is proprietary we should take this offline, but I don't see major trouble getting where you want to be with the DNA 200

I know it will save any wire manufacturer (with nothing to hide) a lot of time in customer service and training.  Rather than try to explain to 99% of vapers how and why, just guide them to a profile.  "Download it into your dna200 and here are optimum guidelines".

This will solve a hell of a lot of un-necessary drama regarding "temp control issues" and blah blah blah....I know I am always happy to educate a user, but I can't reach everyone and I can only talk to them like an engineer.  This has a lot of people avoiding the whole TC/TP concept, and for good reason.  It seems overwhelming to them. 

I am sure everyone here can discuss the pros and cons of thermal mass and "speed", and RTD controller concepts, burden voltages etc....but when I start in with that on public forums, I am sure I lose 99% of the people who could have benefited from some form of temp protection/power throttling...

All of these proprietary, copyrighted, patented equities are starting to get in the way of all of us just trying to achieve the best vape for ourselves, and for everyone around us.  Can't wait for the software to be released.  Thank you for your contribution to the vape world!

To Brandon and John: I know you said you have no plans for a Mac version of the EScribe software. Here's something to think about. I'm a professional Linux kernel developer with 9 years of experience. I've also done work on KDE and various other Linux applications and I've also worked for Intel and IBM. Give me a NDA to sign and I will port it to Mac and maintain it.

Vaper said:

To Brandon and John: I know you said you have no plans for a Mac version of the EScribe software. Here's something to think about. I'm a professional Linux kernel developer with 9 years of experience. I've also done work on KDE and various other Linux applications and I've also worked for Intel and IBM. Give me a NDA to sign and I will port it to Mac and maintain it.

Sir you are a gentleman and scholar for trying to help out even though I don't own a mac and I hate macs (I only will use computers I can build, can't do that with MACs or at least that I know of) and don't use them I applaud you for trying to do something to help out the people that don't have windows based PCs. Someone should also port it to linux but I am happy with windows if I can't use linux. I have both on my PCs.  Anyways I also am in the IT field. Done some programming, PC repair, remote PC repair and now I am back in school to go into the networking portion of it all.  Anyways I hope John and Brandon take you up on your generous offer.

John said:

Yes, we are very much hoping that wire suppliers will publish compatible curves that match exactly the wire they are supplying.

This is a real sleeper that I don't think manufactures of mods or related items are getting just yet.  This will take the guess work out of selecting and using wire and should be a game changing concept.

It will have to get out of the geek world to be effective, with point and click web integration (buy this wire, click here to automatically add a profile for it...etc).

Vaper said:

I will port it to Mac and maintain it.

I have developed and coded for Linux/Mac/Windows (and others that folks would not recognize).  Glad to help as a tester, but no longer coding.

I would suggest that the platform OS agnostic and migrate to a java app or a web interface, but for now just having access to it is amazing.

blueridgedog said:

[QUOTE=John]Yes, we are very much hoping that wire suppliers will publish compatible curves that match exactly the wire they are supplying.

This is a real sleeper that I don't think manufactures of mods or related items are getting just yet.  This will take the guess work out of selecting and using wire and should be a game changing concept.

It will have to get out of the geek world to be effective, with point and click web integration (buy this wire, click here to automatically add a profile for it...etc).

[/QUOTE]

We def. are getting it.  Already working on it.  We'll provide a unique profile for EACH one of our wire products.  User downloads into their device and hits the ground running, with a "guarantee" that the temps are calibrated (as close as they can be with this type of topology).

The portion with the battery meter paints on top of the image, unless you have it selected to do otherwise. 

Make the screens as you like, and then leave space for the battery meter if you want to display the battery display on top. 

SSV said:

[QUOTE=blueridgedog][QUOTE=John]Yes, we are very much hoping that wire suppliers will publish compatible curves that match exactly the wire they are supplying.

[/QUOTE]

We def. are getting it.  Already working on it.  We'll provide a unique profile for EACH one of our wire products.  User downloads into their device and hits the ground running, with a "guarantee" that the temps are calibrated (as close as they can be with this type of topology).[/QUOTE]

This is why I've been asking you for the TCR. :D

John said:

The portion with the battery meter paints on top of the image, unless you have it selected to do otherwise. 

Make the screens as you like, and then leave space for the battery meter if you want to display the battery display on top. 

Thank you John.

basilray said:

[QUOTE=SSV][QUOTE=blueridgedog][QUOTE=John]Yes, we are very much hoping that wire suppliers will publish compatible curves that match exactly the wire they are supplying.

[/QUOTE]

We def. are getting it.  Already working on it.  We'll provide a unique profile for EACH one of our wire products.  User downloads into their device and hits the ground running, with a "guarantee" that the temps are calibrated (as close as they can be with this type of topology).[/QUOTE]

This is why I've been asking you for the TCR. :D

[/QUOTE]

Is there a location that custom TCR's will be posted from wire manufactures?

Well, it seems the guys from Evolv are not interested in making the software available to as many people as possible so I hereby withdraw my offer. I was more than willing to port it to Mac and also Linux and even maintain it but not anymore. You're basically saying only vapers who use Windows are important. I'm not going to spend time on a company like yours.

Vaper said:

Well, it seems the guys from Evolv are not interested in making the software available to as many people as possible so I hereby withdraw my offer. I was more than willing to port it to Mac and also Linux and even maintain it but not anymore. You're basically saying only vapers who use Windows are important. I'm not going to spend time on a company like yours.

Why are you being so rude Vaper, you made an offer, they will contact you if they want help.