Frequent Temperature Protected error on Therion DNA 75 BF

JamezC

So, maybe a few weeks ago, I bought a Therion BF and I've been having issues with TC using SS 316L wire. Quite often, I'll be taking a drag, and then the power will drop off and I'll get the "temperature protected" error message. Other times, It'll cut off right at the beginning of a drag. Sometimes, It'll work fine for a day or two at most, and then it starts doing it again. I've done some googling and troubleshooting myself but have not found a solution to the problem. I've just been using it in power mode for the past day or so, and it's been working well, but I'd like to figure out how to use TC without getting that constant error message.

I'm using a Stumpy RDA with dual 26g SS 316L coils, 2mm in diameter, spaced, coming out to 0.33 ohms. The connection is  solid and the ohms are stable, so I've already ruled that out. I originally had the same coil configuration, but with contact coils, so I thought maybe TC was wonky with contact coils, but building spaced coils didn't seem to make a bit of difference.

As for the other information:

Power: 33W
Temp: 450F
Preheat power: 40W
Preheat punch: 5
Preheat time limit: 1s

I'm running the latest firmware for the mod, and I'm also using Steam Engine's profile for SS 316L. 

I'd appreciate any help in figuring this out!

welcome to the forum JamezC. just so you know, the "temp protect" message isn't an error. it purpose is to let you know that you've reached your set temp and the dna board is adjusting wattage to maintain and not go over that set temp. i have that message turned off. i find it quite annoying, however some find it helpful. while vaping, if i reach my set temp very quickly and the vape drops off sharply, it's usually a wicking issue. since you're using an rda, what i would do is raise the temp slightly until i got the vape i wanted. 450F is a cool vape for SS, IMO, i tend to vape SS in the 500F and up range. i find it needs to be bumped up a little further in temp than my other TC wires. 
if you want, you could post a screenshot of device monitor while firing your SS build. device monitor comes in handy when diagnosing problems. 

Thanks for the welcome, Chunky, I appreciate the help. I actually forgot you could turn off messages, I'm glad you mentioned that. I've been vaping for right at 3 years now, but since this is my first mod using a DNA board, I'm still in the learning process. 

I generally like a vape a little on the cool side, but hopefully I can find a compromise where I won't be getting the temperature protected message constantly. Also, I'm not getting the temp protect message at the moment (go figure), but hopefully this screenshot might help some.

DMscreenshot.png 

You are not getting close to the temp limit you have set in that screen (450 F) and just vaping at 30 W, it could just be that the cold res had not refined when you got the message earlier.  Refinement is a process where the board tracks the coil res against the board temp as the coil cools during idle to get a more accurate base resistance reading.

correct, the board will continuously try to refine the resistance, usually settling at the lowest resistance it can read after a while. refinement will take place regardless of your set wattage. it will not refine if you lock your ohms or if you're not in TC mode.

think of it as, the board gets an initial accurate ohm reading then tries to get an even more accurate reading via "refinement".

• 4 weeks later...

[quote=JamezC]So, it takes a little while for the board to get an accurate reading of the cold resistance? Also, vaping at a lower wattage, I'm guessing that affects the refinement process?[/quote]No, you should attach the atomizer when both the mod and coil/atomizer are at room temperature to get an accurate cold resistance reading. Refinement keeps monitoring the resistance when your coil cools off, and well.. refines the resistance reading. Usually those values should be incredibly small though, and you should get the cold resistance right off the bat. If you have normal behaviour, you shouldn't have to wait for the board to get accurate, and vaping at lower wattages definitely doesn't affect the refinement process. 

• 2 years later...
On 10/22/2016 at 10:54 AM, Spector NS5 RD said:

just so you know, the "temp protect" message isn't an error. it purpose is to let you know that you've reached your set temp and the dna board is adjusting wattage to maintain and not go over that set temp. i have that message turned off. i find it quite annoying,

SUPER helpful!!
This has been jist killin me. Of course it males perfect sense once somebody points it out.

How did you turn off the message though? I can't find it in Escribe. This is a DNA 60.

9 часов назад, Wayneo сказал:

Theme Designer -> Screens

Что нужно сделать на вкладке Screens, чтобы отключить сообщение "temp protect". Или Вы имеете ввиду отключение функции "Сoil should be temperature-protected"

Печать.jpg

On 10/22/2016 at 10:54 AM, Spector NS5 RD said:

just so you know, the "temp protect" message isn't an error. it purpose is to let you know that you've reached your set temp and the dna board is adjusting wattage to maintain and not go over that set temp. i have that message turned off. i find it quite annoying,

21 hours ago, gsmit1 said:

SUPER helpful!!
This has been jist killin me. Of course it males perfect sense once somebody points it out.

How did you turn off the message though? I can't find it in Escribe. This is a DNA 60.

@zark Comrade, considering the thread is about the message, and 'message' was mentioned 3 times in the post I replied to, my response was about ........ the message.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, saschacolussi said:

Hi guys, just bough my first DNA mod a lost vape triade 250c. I've got what the message means but just can't get it to stop I mean, the message still is on my mod settings but, what am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me, would appreciate it. 

As I learned myself, that message is simply saying that the build has reached and is being maintained at the set temperature. It won't and shouldn't stop unless intentionally disabled in Escribe.

If you haven't done that, it will continue to display and that is by design.

If you want it to go away, you need to do what the fella told me above. Connect your mod to Escribe, go into the screen dialog and disable that message.

It might be slightly different for the 250C, but I'm sure the general principle is the same.

13 minutes ago, saschacolussi said:

the problem is, whe it reaches that temperature it simply stops firing. If disabled the message will it mantain the temperature?

That's a different issue that I don't know the solution to friend, though I'm sure there is one. On the DNA 60 I was referring to in this thread, the mod keeps firing whether the message was enabled or disabled.

1 hour ago, saschacolussi said:

the problem is, whe it reaches that temperature it simply stops firing. If disabled the message will it mantain the temperature?

We need a lot more info so lets get started.....So do you vape it and it does reach it's set temp or does it reach temp message quickly?  What type coil are you using?  Is it a spaced or a contact coil?  

1 hora atrás, retird disse:

We need a lot more info so lets get started.....So do you vape it and it does reach it's set temp or does it reach temp message quickly?  What type coil are you using?  Is it a spaced or a contact coil?  

I start vaping it and when it reaches the temp it gives me the message and stops firing. I'm using  dual ss316L round wire and contact coil. This happens in temp control and in replay mode, what I've also noticed is that when that happens I change from one profile to another i.e. ss316l to replay and vice versa, and it starts firing again. Then, after some time it happens again. Not home right now, as getting home will send a picture of the mod monitor on escribe.

Your temp is set at 286C Your temp peak on the last puff shown is 300C.... 572F and if I'm seeing it right the power at 300C is almost 80 watts on your last puff shown but your set power at 70 watts....   What if you lower your preheat to 50 watts and the punch down to a much lower level?  Could you be over driving your 70 watt setting with the preheat and punch being so high? Again.... contact coils are not usually used by most DNA users...