Mac Suppport

the_edge

I wish I had your luck.  I'm on El Cap 10.11.2 using VirtualBox 5.12 and still no love.  I've tried plugging in direct to machine and through USB hub.  I've disconnected the batteries and cables and rebooted the VM between each attempt and I just can't break down the wall.  Still keep getting the same error as thekanthalkid's post right before yours.

@the_edge

Tried reinstalling the guest additions again.  Even did a scrap and reinstall of Virtual box and guest additions.  I've tried connecting DNA after windows is booted, before windows is booted and after windows is booted and escribe open.  Still no luck.  You got special Mojo I just don't seem to have.

@the_edge

Dude,

You rock!!!!  I swear when you posted your screenshot the only download available was Virtualbox 5.0.12. Today I saw 5.0.14 and took another crack.  First try and my Wismec Reuleaux DNA 200 is now recognized on the Mac onEl Capitan 10.11.3.  I heard the angelic choir going off in the background when it happened.  Thanks for your persistence.

This is beyond ridiculous.

Whereas the PC Windows platform has been on a steady decline for years, and the Mac OSX platform been in growth, why is it so difficult or not plausible to port Escribe to a Native Mac application or OSX APP.

Smok has no issues doing this with their XCube app to IOS/Droid apps.

Heck, even do an Java App that can be run from within a browser.

It's as if Evolv just assumes that either everyone has a Windows PC, a Mac & a Windows PC, or expects Mac only owners to fiddle with Windows Virtualization software that will clutter up a perfectly smoothly running OSX machine just to mod out their chip for vaping.

I use a 2015 MBP OSX 10.11.4 for work and cannot risk mucking it up and downtime for even 1/2 a day.

This is SILLY!!!!!!!!!!! Hey Evolv!!! I paid $200US for a device using your chip!! I shouldn't have to go to a buddies house or beg my local vape shop to borrow their PC!!!!!!! Especially to achieve the same functionality that Yihi's SX330J, SXK chiNA, and Joytech's RX already have out-of-the-box!!!!!!!!!!!

wow, that is a lot of exclamation marks!!!!!! :) you would think, being a mac guy, that you may have at some point actually come across some other software out there that also doesn't run on macs... it's really not unheard of... there is a reason software like parallels and vm fusion actually exists you know, it's not because so many people are dying to use internet explorer :)

I'll agree that I wouldn't mind having another reason to not have to fire up windows, but again, this isn't the only software in existence that causes that, and I'm sure it won't be the last one either...

VM and Visualization Software initially came out primarily for coders designing for cross-platform then testing over in Windows, Linux, ETC.

Yes, it is widely used to play PC games or use Windows Exclusive Software on the Mac.

This is necessary because either the development of that software runs in the millions of dollars and small companies cannot afford or are not willing to budget the Programming hours to port it, or the company has an exclusive agreement with Microsoft, or there is not enough interest or installed base on either platform to bother.

EScribe seems to be a very small simple program, not much bigger than a common freeware media player like VLC or something so I know it's not the budget cause it could likely be done in a week. EScribe certainly isn't platform exclusive, and lastly the DNA has a huge installed base of users.

IIRC the delay is because they had/have not been able to source a USB HID driver to be able to interface with the board, it is not as simple as it appears.

But if the store lead you to believe it was Mac compatible surely your beef is with them as it seems to have come as a shock to you.

How do 1-man development studios throw together Mac Apps that will interface with my iPhone and iPod updating/downloading playlists via USB, create sequencing software that will interface with external controllers, etc. There seems to be hundreds of them all over the Mac App store and the internet.

I bought my DNA200 online knowing that EScribe was Windows only. If there was anything misleading, it was how limited the DNA 200 is out-of-the-box vs. it's competitors as I was lead to believe that it was ready and capable for the widest range of users without need of EScribe.

For Apple devotees, the DNA 200 does have a handicap that can be overcome, the point is that they shouldn't have a handicap at all.

It would be so easy for Evolv to port this.

I was told that the advantage of the Joytech RX2000 Reuleaux vs the DNA200 Reuleax was that it had TC profiles for Ti, Ni, and SS out-of-the-box vs. the DNA's Ti & Ni only.  In fact, the DNA200 is Ni only until profiles are created for the Ti and SS. I just want a Ti profile.

http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.asp#

just choose the material you want to use (diameter and coil style doesnt matter) and download the csv for the dna 200 and load it into escribe inside one of the profiles of your choosing.

Problem solved. ;)

VapingBad said:

IIRC the delay is because they had/have not been able to source a USB HID driver to be able to interface with the board, it is not as simple as it appears.

You're kidding me, right? Funny that every phone manufacturer uses one

BobC said:

[QUOTE=VapingBad]IIRC the delay is because they had/have not been able to source a USB HID driver to be able to interface with the board, it is not as simple as it appears.

You're kidding me, right? Funny that every phone manufacturer uses one[/QUOTE]

No see https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/66331-topic/?do=findComment&comment=896335
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_human_interface_device_class

I don't believe any phones use USB HID drivers out of the box (USB connected mouse keyboard etc) they are far more a PC thing, but these guys want one for a MAC not a phone.

Windows PC are everywhere.... surely it's not that big of a challenge to use one, buy a cheap tablet, or use Windows inside of your Mac...  tried one of the competition's new devices last week and their software which, by the way, also works only with windows.... their device went quickly to a new home....and out of the box the new features weren't just limited, but the new device features were not even available until the firmware was updated.  Many of the new features require the software also.  

IIRC Evolv said that Mac software wasn't out of the question in the future.   

John is not speaking to OSX, but to Wine, which is the Win32 abstract layer for other operating systems, another words running windows programs on OSX or Linux using Wine as opposed to using a vitrual machine like VMware to run the full windows OS as a guest on other operating systems.

And guess what happens when you plug a standard Keyboard or mouse into a MAC?

A hint buddy, and not trying to be difficult, but you really need to actually know of what you speak before providing guidance,

BobC said:

John is not speaking to OSX, but to Wine, which is the Win32 abstract layer for other operating systems, another words running windows programs on OSX or Linux using Wine as opposed to using a vitrual machine like VMware to run the full windows OS as a guest on other operating systems.

And guess what happens when you plug a standard Keyboard or mouse into a MAC?

A hint buddy, and not trying to be difficult, but you really need to actually know of what you speak before providing guidance,

You are right I misremembered, it was the composite nature of the USB comms (HID + serial) that was the issue I read about, the lack of support for interface descriptors needed for serial in OSX
https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/66142-topic/?do=findComment&comment=894235 

I was able to run Escribe Successfully using VM Fusion w/Windows 8.1

It is kind of trick and that USB driver installs an unsightly .ink file on my El Capitan desktop.

I worked with the software for about 3 hours before Windows through an authentication failure.

No Biggie-I was just uploading customized screens and whatnot.

I do wish that EScribe would warn me when I am attempting to install firmware that is older than what I'm running.

Does anyone know what the latest EScribe version is? I'm running 1.035 that I grabbed from the Early Adopters forum.