blueridgedog

Common Problems

60 posts in this topic

Just now, dberry19k said:

You mean the fire button on the board is bad? I am running an external button and have triple checked my wire configuration and it's still doing the same thing. It is frustrating to say the least. If the fire button on the board is bad will I have to send it to evolv to get fixed?

Ah...I did not know you were using an external button.  That adds a few more layers of things that could go wrong.  In addition to the above possibilities, your external button could be hard shorted for "on" or you could have build a solder bridge on the DNA chip when installing the button.  So bad built in button, bad external button or solder bridge.  All of which should be able to be tested with an meter.   Yes, if it is the built in button, then it goes back, but my money is on a fat solder job or a bad external button.  Test with a meter for an open short when the button is not pressed.  If you get something other than infinite resistance, then you have a short...bad button or fat solder joint.

32 minutes ago, blueridgedog said:

Ah...I did not know you were using an external button.  That adds a few more layers of things that could go wrong.  In addition to the above possibilities, your external button could be hard shorted for "on" or you could have build a solder bridge on the DNA chip when installing the button.  So bad built in button, bad external button or solder bridge.  All of which should be able to be tested with an meter.   Yes, if it is the built in button, then it goes back, but my money is on a fat solder job or a bad external button.  Test with a meter for an open short when the button is not pressed.  If you get something other than infinite resistance, then you have a short...bad button or fat solder joint.

Thanks for your help on this. I will go back and check all my work again.

I would try disconnecting the external button completely. Problem persists,  then a possible board problem...if not, either your wiring or a bad button...

On 9/8/2017 at 4:22 PM, giz_60 said:

I would try disconnecting the external button completely. Problem persists,  then a possible board problem...if not, either your wiring or a bad button...

I pulled everything apart and made sure to unwire the button completely and it still persisted

Could you post a picture of the board where we can look at the components, connections, solder points, and etc?  

On 9/10/2017 at 1:54 PM, retird said:

Could you post a picture of the board where we can look at the components, connections, solder points, and etc?  

Sorry I took so long to respond

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

dberry, I enlarged and enhanced one of your pics showing where you solder wires for the remote fire switch. I'd try to carefully clean this area between these two holes with some IPA and q-tips, make sure it isn't making a connection there. What did you use for soldering flux? Not soldering paste found in the plumbing dept at someplace like Lowes was it?

IMG_158.jpg.67df92492c9efa7f524d316f402b96dc.jpg

IMG_158.jpg

I used electrical solder with a flux core that I got from hobby lobby

IMG_1584.JPG

1 person likes this

Just now, dberry19k said:

I used electrical solder with a flux core that I got from hobby lobby

IMG_1584.JPG

That's fine, you may already know this but the paste used for soldering copper pipes will work fine for a while but can ruin electronics over time, it's corrosive. Don't ask me how I know....... 

59 minutes ago, Willy said:

That's fine, you may already know this but the paste used for soldering copper pipes will work fine for a while but can ruin electronics over time, it's corrosive. Don't ask me how I know....... 

I did not know that, thanks for the tip.