Custom Theme Image Gen Application

Mikla

I was playing around with my new toy and saw a bunch of folks making custom screens.   Decided I would try it as well.  After creating a few today, I thought it might be easier to create a quick app that would help create the screens.  So I wrote a Windows App:

It has

• a previews of the image at the top
  • 10 multi-line text fields, position x/y, font type and size
  • 2 image import fields, scale image to fit, position x/y
  • black on white or white on black foreground and background
  • save image in multiple formats
  • save configuration for loading/modifying later
[DNAthemeApp1] 
You can see what I did above, took me about 1 minute.  I pulled a random black and white shack image off the net (no idea what it's original size was), added some text in different fonts, positioned everything and done.

Here is another example that is very easy but very specific about a made up (and does not look realistic) build (theme):
[DNAthemeApp] 
I cut and pasted the ?? symbol off the net ( you can do this with almost any text symbol).

There is also an image bit editor which allows you to change individual bit colors or quickly invert the entire image:
[DNAThemeImageMakerEditor] 

I would consider this early Beta code as it has only been tested by me to date.  I'll try to make updates and changes as needed but make no promises (thus the source code is available).  The C# Windows Form application was developed in in Visual Studio 2012.  It is a fairly simple app.  Plus I developed this without plans for anyone else to use it, so I did not worry about error checking too much in this build.

Feel free to download a play with it.  For those that want to source, I've provided a link as well.  They are clean files, but if you want to scan them there are various online scanners like  Online Virus Scanner.

Links:
Application V1
Application V1.1
Application V1.1.02
Source
Source V1.1.02

Version History:

1 Release

• added text rotation, can rotate text 360 degrees
  • added image rotation and scaling (still need to fix clipping image when rotating) (breaking)

• increased x/y positioning values from +/- 100 to +/- 1000
  • fixed rotation limits on image 2
  • modified image and text rendering, fixed text pixel offset (breaking)
  • added preview checkbox, some font is too big to view in textbox when formated

• added simple image pixel editor
  • added render quality checkbox option for images

TODO: - (DONE) add pixel editor

• fix image clipping
  • add Save Inverse

Disclaimer:  The use of the software downloaded through the links provided is done at your own discretion and risk and with agreement that you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from such activities.  Software is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind, either express or implied.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think this is a fantastic idea and will help some of the people new to the DNA as we see so many requests for custom screens and how to do it and this is quick and simple looking, looking forward to play with it to see, well done and thanks for sharing :)

EDIT: are there any additional files requires such as Visual studio installed? it wont run on my W10 install, i select it and hit enter, see the working icon for a second and then nothing, even tried with task manager open and cannot see any new tasks starting.
Comparability checker failed to find a working mode either.

Oops... sorry folks.  It was like 4 or 5 in the morning when I posted that.  Forgot to embed a custom Library (font dialog).  Both links should be updated with a new build.  I tested it on a Windows 8 VM and it worked.  It is a stand alone app with no other files required [fingers crossed this time :) ).

Put a link to a new version.
- added text rotation, can rotate text 360 degrees
- added image rotation and scaling (still need to fix clipping image when rotating)

I found myself needing the rotated text.  Not sure the image rotation was needed (easy enough to do in almost any image app), but it was fairly straight forward.  I have code to avoid the clipping, just got to find it.  Left original version up just in case I introduced some bug into this version (it's late).  Will put source up tomorrow (later today).

Just a little bug report. I haven't tried v1 but on v1.1 the image preview does not exactly match the resulting image when saved. It's just a couple pixels off from both top and bottom sides and left and right sides. It's easy to work around and this is a great app you have created. Now I can make all my Steelfish font themes without messing with paint over and over! :)

Glitch.png

Ekaven said:

Just a little bug report. I haven't tried v1 but on v1.1 the image preview does not exactly match the resulting image when saved. It's just a couple pixels off from both top and bottom sides and left and right sides. It's easy to work around and this is a great app you have created. Now I can make all my Steelfish font themes without messing with paint over and over! :)

Good catch.  I think that is a rendering vs image creation issue.  I believe I know how fix it... will take a look  Thanks!

Updated first post with new version.  Added pixel level magnified image editor, fixed a bug and a few other things.  Version notes are now in the first post as well. Some of the changes are breaking... meaning that if you load a cfg file it will look a little different so adjustments will be required.  Things like font and some of the image quality areas were improved to give accurate sizes and better images... even in black and white :)