Early Firmware and EScribe Suite Discussion Thread

Coil Face ID ;-) - You made my Day!

Beside this - w´d like to use the boost with slow heating coils - not for more power - a lot of people asking for Preheat !

Most of them using chinese mods with custom firmware - always the same question " i wonder why my cheap mod can preheat and the DNA not?" (Kanthal non TC)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lowbytes said:

Beside this - w´d like to use the boost with slow heating coils - not for more power - a lot of people asking for Preheat !

Most of them using chinese mods with custom firmware - always the same question " i wonder why my cheap mod can preheat and the DNA not?" (Kanthal non TC)

Ah, preheat boost, sorry, I thought folks were looking to get more then 200 and 250 from the boards and I just can't see going even up to 200.  I'm guilty of not reading all the posts. 

Hace 8 horas, Lowbytes dijo:

Hola,

Ante todo, soy un feliz usuario de DNA y la reconozco como una de las mejores electrónicas que existe en el mercado. Pero, es incomprensible que no se agregue el PREHEAT como opción en potencia variable. Realmente en la gran mayoría de los setups no es necesario, pero en algunos casos... es realmente necesario.

Esperemos que en algún momento Evolv considere el desarrollo de su característica, para que ya no sea un punto negativo al momento de elegir un mod.

¡Saludos!

Hello,

First of all, I am a happy user of DNA and I recognize it as one of the best electronics that exists in the market. But, it is incomprehensible that PREHEAT is not added as an option in variable power. Actually in the vast majority of setups is not necessary, but in some cases ... it is really necessary.

Hopefully at some point Evolv consider the development of its feature, so that it is no longer a negative point when choosing a mod.

Edited by nubarrohm
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 10:08 PM, John said:

Are you looking for the two stage setpoint, or are you looking for more power? The 200 and 250 are limited by the fuse on input current, the 75 by output voltage, and the 60 by thermal margin. 

So we could conceivably add the functionality, but it'd be limited to the nameplate max power of the boards. Is that worth adding?

I'm looking for the two stage setpoint, assuming it's the same thing as preheat. Limited to the nameplate max power.

I have two DNA75 and I'd like to be able to use preheat up to its specs, for a variable amount of time (as it's already doable with temp measurable wires).

Thanks for taking this into consideration.

52 minutes ago, dwcraig1 said:

This works as I have done it, not supported and tricky to get it working. It worked well for me but I have no use for it as I do TC only.

Good luck

https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/65540-preheat-in-kanthal-it-works/

BTW, all the settings except for initial wattage are artificial so to speak.

Yes. It does. As the "author" of that trick (check the thanks in the post), I'd still like having an official solution to this, instead of a workaround. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've posted EScribe 2.0 SP7 as an Early Service Pack.

It does not contain a device Service Pack for DNA 75 Color (that will be SP8), but I did unify some code between the MacOS and Windows versions, which sped up Windows EScribe Suite significantly and fixed some Theme Designer bugs on MacOS.

Also, for manufacturers, Production Utility can now program and test multiple devices at the same time (use "Automatically Program and Test on USB Connect").

• Like 2

On 9/18/2017 at 10:08 PM, John said:

Are you looking for the two stage setpoint, or are you looking for more power? The 200 and 250 are limited by the fuse on input current, the 75 by output voltage, and the 60 by thermal margin. 

So we could conceivably add the functionality, but it'd be limited to the nameplate max power of the boards. Is that worth adding?

Hi John, considering that people have pretty much unanimously stated that they would be more thank ok with the two stage setpoing, for big Kanthal coils, basically, do you think it could be added? DNA 75/200/250 have plenty of power (according to the coil you can reasonably think of using) to have a preheat programmed, as it happens on DNA75C.

Please, do not abandon your first clients. The product is working still fine, don't force us to upgrade for the sake of it. Thanks.

Hello, everyone.

I noticed that the SP7 has a bug. The Case Analyzer does not work properly. With the SP 6 everything was still ok. With SP7, the lines are not displayed. I mean the lines where you can see how many amps are being charged and what temperature the case has.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally i understand the concerning behind Evolv's decision to date of not enabling preheat in kanthal coils... For the "non advanced" user can bring some dry hits, but what if it could be turned on by ticking a box that explains the "danger" of that option, stating that it is intended just for the "advanced" user?
It could be a solution for the 75, 200 and 250 boards. With so many users asking for it, i think it should be done...
(Personally i've been more with SS, but i continue to see that as an useful option)
Also i leave the suggestion to create an option where we can hide profiles we dont need to use. Let's say i'm just using 3 profiles, the others could be hide in the device. When needed, just connect escribe and tick a box to "un-hide" :D

Also a question: No new firmwares for devices? Or we need download them separately? (75, 200)
I Installed SP8 and for my 75, for example, last firmware is from 2016. Is that correct? (Sorry, been a bit "away" from the forum, but still a proud and happy daily DNA user)

EScribe Suite SP8 includes DNA 75 Color SP27. It doesn't include any new Service Packs for monochrome DNAs as yet.

Technically Preheat is impossible on Kanthal coils. It requires knowing temperatures, and operates under temperature protection. If resistances read correctly, Preheat should be safe.

DNA 75 Color SP27 does include a Boost feature (International Edition only) which, if enabled, performs a similar function on Kanthal coils. I will be curious to see how well it works for people.

17 minutos atrás, James disse:

EScribe Suite SP8 includes DNA 75 Color SP27. It doesn't include any new Service Packs for monochrome DNAs as yet.

Technically Preheat is impossible on Kanthal coils. It requires knowing temperatures, and operates under temperature protection. If resistances read correctly, Preheat should be safe.

DNA 75 Color SP27 does include a Boost feature (International Edition only) which, if enabled, performs a similar function on Kanthal coils. I will be curious to see how well it works for people.

Own 2 75's, but none of them is colour :D
I understand that there is no way to know temperature on kanthal coils, but technically would not be possible to apply X% more watts for Y seconds disregarding temperature? I'm not a coder, but seems quite easy to achieve for a company that is so ahead in vaping technology...

3 hours ago, James said:

It's been weeks and everybody here is fully aware that, not being temperature controllable, Kanthal can just be used with a boost function.

I wrote this more than once and always referring to the fact that it's available for DNA 75C. Reading the above is quite demoralising. It's not as if I love repeating the same things over and over... :(

ok. speaking of the preheat and boost functions. I'm a little confused about the fields. I see Atomizer-preheat/boost-enable, preheat/boost punch, as well as the 2 separated Atomizer-preheat-enable, atomizer-boost-enable. So if the functions are separated, what is the value/use of preheat/boost together? 

newCapture.jpg

1 hour ago, ozadr1an said:

Judging by no one else having commented, it must be my end.. but Windows Defender just spat the dummy about ecigstats - I upgraded to the latest 2.0SP8 yesterday...  : 

I just updated the wife's Windows 10 computer the other day and read a article in the news paper about the new version MS released, it includes among other things, updated higher security. Expect more of these false flags with Defender until they iron some of them out, some I'm sure won't rise to the level that MS will invest the time to do anything about, how many of the populace use escribe? Maybe there is a way to dismiss the warning? The wife doesn't vape, I don't have escribe on her computer and I'm using Windows 7 on my desktop, I don't care for 10.

Edited by Willy

@Dragonlore, the combined fields will choose Preheat or Boost automatically, depending on whether the coil is temperature sensing or not. They are there to make it easier to create a theme supporting both.

Also, themes from older versions which expose Preheat Enable and Preheat Punch will automatically use Preheat/Boost Enable and Preheat/Boost Punch.

OK, got it. The problem I'm having is after SP8, in watts mode, the boost time field on the device is blank, so it cannot be adjusted. I checked the theme and that's when I noticed the added options. it was fine prior to sp8. what do I need to change? 

2Capture.JPG

3Capture.JPG

Edited by Dragonlore
pics to large