David Campbell

Early Firmware and EScribe Suite Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted up 08/07/2015. Custom splash screen times, and some improvements to the 2-cell support.

Have a good weekend,

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I must say coming from using an sx mini to the dna 200 and also my first dna mod, that i love the time spent on public relations. I'm just loving the amount of updates coming in and how much you actually listen to the us the users. Thanks for another update!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John said:

There are a lot of micro USB cables that are charge only. That'd be the first thing I would try. USB had to work at Hana for them to load the newest firmware onto the device, and had to work here to get through the programming and test cycle (though that tests the board, not the connector), so the board has talked to a computer at least twice in its life before it gets to you. 

I agree John I have countless amounts of USB cables and I've only gotten one or two to work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blueridgedog said:

Statistically if the cable came with a cell phone charger...it has a good chance of not having the data wires...just to save money.



Samsung, Blackberry and LG brand cables are power and data. They support full power (2a+) unlike cheaper cables that only max out at 500ma or 1a. You can find them fairly cheap on Amazon. Cables to go also sell inexpensive cables that work well. I bought a 3pk of Anker cables that are good too (from Amazon). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James said:

Posted up 08/07/2015. Custom splash screen times, and some improvements to the 2-cell support.

Have a good weekend,

James



Installed the latest Escribe and firmware from "Early Firmware" of 8/7/2015 using Win10 x64 bit Home version. Installed smoothly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VapingBad said:

Sounds like you updated while the device was connected which is asking for trouble, but if you had saved your escribe settings you should be able to reload them like most software.  It is not "bricked" unless it never works again.



Has someone know freemax starre pro or try it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jolley said:

[QUOTE=VapingBad]Sounds like you updated while the device was connected which is asking for trouble, but if you had saved your escribe settings you should be able to reload them like most software.  It is not "bricked" unless it never works again.



Has someone know freemax starre pro or try it?[/QUOTE] I'm not sure exactly how you meant your question in relation to the post you've quoted. Regardless, I have used the starre pro with a v200 and it is a very decent vape... When it's not leaking! I made the mistake of not closing the juice control overnight and the tank dumped everywhere. Do not forget to close the juice control... Kind of a PITA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
laadam said:

Just tried the new update, 2015-08-05 EScribe, 2015-07-29 R1 firmware.
It forced a new USB driver install that put EScribe into a "not responding" state.
Bricked my V200.  Closed everything through task manager and re-opened.
Using the tools menu, I forced the firmware upgrade and everything is up and running.
However, I lost all data and settings... like a factory reset!
BTW, running Win7 32bit


Just did same thing with the 8/7 update.

Accidentally left my Hana V200 connected via usb while I ran the https://www.dimensionengineering.com/software/SetupES_2015-08-07.exe

Everything went fine on install but when it prompted to update the firmware to the 2015-08-07.sw-update
it started to download, the little box flashed, screen went dark on V200 & got error message that no device was connected on repeated tries.

Pressing fire button on device reboots device and escribe can see it if I connect through device monitor & appears to work.  Pulled cable & reloaded https://www.dimensionengineering.com/software/SetupES_2015-08-07.exe completely same thing happens when I try to update firmware, even when I try to roll it back to 2015-07-16.sw-update.

Rebooted Win8.1 64bit computer & uninstalled escribe completely reinstalling program...no change.

Tried installing same update on win7 64bit machine.  Same thing.  Cannot update firmware at all on HanaV200 due to unit shutting down during firmware update.  I can only access unit in device manager after hitting fire button to reboot.

Just pulled escribe from win7 machine & rebooted w/ intention to go back to stable release escibe & load it but that is release I had on win7machine when I first rebooted the win 8.1 machine & had communication issues there too.

Cable is one that came with hana & have been using without issue since I got it.  Just tried to roll back to 2015-07-16.sw-update on the clean install of stable release & same issue exists.

Think I screwed up the Hana?  What process did you kill in Task Manager to Fix yours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tpat591 said:

[QUOTE=laadam]

Just tried the new update, 2015-08-05 EScribe, 2015-07-29 R1 firmware.
It forced a new USB driver install that put EScribe into a "not responding" state.
Bricked my V200.  Closed everything through task manager and re-opened.
Using the tools menu, I forced the firmware upgrade and everything is up and running.
However, I lost all data and settings... like a factory reset!
BTW, running Win7 32bit


Just did same thing with the 8/7 update.

Accidentally left my Hana V200 connected via usb while I ran the https://www.dimensionengineering.com/software/SetupES_2015-08-07.exe

Everything went fine on install but when it prompted to update the firmware to the 2015-08-07.sw-update
it started to download, the little box flashed, screen went dark on V200 & got error message that no device was connected on repeated tries.

Pressing fire button on device reboots device and escribe can see it if I connect through device monitor & appears to work.  Pulled cable & reloaded https://www.dimensionengineering.com/software/SetupES_2015-08-07.exe completely same thing happens when I try to update firmware, even when I try to roll it back to 2015-07-16.sw-update.

Rebooted Win8.1 64bit computer & uninstalled escribe completely reinstalling program...no change.

Tried installing same update on win7 64bit machine.  Same thing.  Cannot update firmware at all on HanaV200 due to unit shutting down during firmware update.  I can only access unit in device manager after hitting fire button to reboot.

Just pulled escribe from win7 machine & rebooted w/ intention to go back to stable release escibe & load it but that is release I had on win7machine when I first rebooted the win 8.1 machine & had communication issues there too.

Cable is one that came with hana & have been using without issue since I got it.  Just tried to roll back to 2015-07-16.sw-update on the clean install of stable release & same issue exists.

Think I screwed up the Hana?  What process did you kill in Device Manager to Fix yours?

[/QUOTE]

James, John, or Branden do you have any advice on how to proceed considering conditions described above?  is there a command line command to diagnose integrity of board programming & operation of device itself to determine why it will not accept firmware updates?













Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
David Campbell said:

Crickets is probably a good sign :) I've been running this for a couple days and haven't had any issues.

In unrelated news, the FreeMax Starre Pro (unexpectedly) sets a new high bar for TC tanks with pre-made coils.

How about Freemax Starre pro tank? It is said that is great. Has someone tried?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tpat591 said:


James, John, or Branden do you have any advice on how to proceed considering conditions described above?  is there a command line command to diagnose integrity of board programming & operation of device itself to determine why it will not accept firmware updates?



Have you tried a hard reboot in escribe?  Have you tried a battery removal for a hard reboot?

If you pull the battery, then reinstall the battery, reboot your computer, plug in the DNA200, launch escribe and then attempt a manual firmware update that fails, the next step I recommend is a help desk ticket for a replacement.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tpat591 said:

[QUOTE=laadam]

Just tried the new update, 2015-08-05 EScribe, 2015-07-29 R1 firmware.
It forced a new USB driver install that put EScribe into a "not responding" state.
Bricked my V200.  Closed everything through task manager and re-opened.
Using the tools menu, I forced the firmware upgrade and everything is up and running.
However, I lost all data and settings... like a factory reset!
BTW, running Win7 32bit


Just did same thing with the 8/7 update.

Accidentally left my Hana V200 connected via usb while I ran the https://www.dimensionengineering.com/software/SetupES_2015-08-07.exe

Everything went fine on install but when it prompted to update the firmware to the 2015-08-07.sw-update
it started to download, the little box flashed, screen went dark on V200 & got error message that no device was connected on repeated tries.

Pressing fire button on device reboots device and escribe can see it if I connect through device monitor & appears to work.  Pulled cable & reloaded https://www.dimensionengineering.com/software/SetupES_2015-08-07.exe completely same thing happens when I try to update firmware, even when I try to roll it back to 2015-07-16.sw-update.

Rebooted Win8.1 64bit computer & uninstalled escribe completely reinstalling program...no change.

Tried installing same update on win7 64bit machine.  Same thing.  Cannot update firmware at all on HanaV200 due to unit shutting down during firmware update.  I can only access unit in device manager after hitting fire button to reboot.

Just pulled escribe from win7 machine & rebooted w/ intention to go back to stable release escibe & load it but that is release I had on win7machine when I first rebooted the win 8.1 machine & had communication issues there too.

Cable is one that came with hana & have been using without issue since I got it.  Just tried to roll back to 2015-07-16.sw-update on the clean install of stable release & same issue exists.

Think I screwed up the Hana?  What process did you kill in Task Manager to Fix yours?

[/QUOTE]

EScribe hung for me and was not responding.  I had to use Task Manager to close EScribe then restart the program.  Using the drop down menu across the top, used the update option and forced it into the chip.  Everything worked for me after that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tpat591 said:


Pressing fire button on device reboots device and escribe can see it if I connect through device monitor & appears to work.  Pulled cable & reloaded https://www.dimensionengineering.com/software/SetupES_2015-08-07.exe completely same thing happens when I try to update firmware, even when I try to roll it back to 2015-07-16.sw-update.



How do you know pressing the fire button reboots the device specifically? What behavior are you seeing? Does something display on the device screen? If you see anything on screen, that rules out it being a firmware issue. If Device Monitor works then your firmware is working. What are you seeing for battery voltage? I wonder if something is wrong with your battery connector. When you use Device Monitor, are you able to fire? Or does it say CHECK ATOMIZER? (What are the battery voltages reading? Keep in mind, battery voltage is read over the balancer taps, whereas power actually comes from the main connector (JST in the Hana's case).)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James said:

[QUOTE=Tpat591]
Pressing fire button on device reboots device and escribe can see it if I connect through device monitor & appears to work.  Pulled cable & reloaded https://www.dimensionengineering.com/software/SetupES_2015-08-07.exe completely same thing happens when I try to update firmware, even when I try to roll it back to 2015-07-16.sw-update.




How do you know pressing the fire button reboots the device specifically? What behavior are you seeing? Does something display on the device screen? If you see anything on screen, that rules out it being a firmware issue. If Device Monitor works then your firmware is working. What are you seeing for battery voltage? I wonder if something is wrong with your battery connector. When you use Device Monitor, are you able to fire? Or does it say CHECK ATOMIZER? (What are the battery voltages reading? Keep in mind, battery voltage is read over the balancer taps, whereas power actually comes from the main connector (JST in the Hana's case).)[/QUOTE]

My issue unfolded in this thread:https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/68330-topic/?do=findComment&comment=914505

On firmware upload the "Please Wait" progress box will flash for a minute, device goes dark & will not respond to any communication.  Pressing fire button on device powers it up again and will restore serial communication but not in firmware update.  I have tried pressing fire button to repower device through the firmware update but it will return error on computer screen command failed.

Unit appeared to be operating correctly independent of this vaping a Lemo 2 with twisted 28ga ni200 .07ohm build @ 360deg until on one vape I had 2 separate 1sec full 200w spikes on the preheat graphed on the device monitor that blew apart my build in the lemo and gave me a lungful of fire the taste of which I cannot describe.  I was so busy choking on the lungful that I did not think to do a screenshot before it timed out on the device monitor.  Apparently it slipped into kanthal mode and blasted 200w even though unit was set for 24w.  Perhaps under vaping conditions my build loosened at a screw contact but that never should have happened.  Since then the Hana serial cable has developed communication issues and I am using another serial cable I happened to have around.  All this happened yesterday afternoon.
Hanav200_error_message.png  Hanav200_subtank_trace.png 
These were done with a subtank equipped with a ni200 occ as I have not rebuilt the Lemo2.  This hana is equipped w/ jst rcy connector that does not appear melted down but i am having trouble separating it.  Prior to the Lemo2 coil burnout my preheat spikes were approaching the height of the power checkbox on the left.  The double spike when the coil burned out went above the battery indicator line as high as the charge box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Forgot to post 1st error message screen experienced after Hana screen goes dark on firmware update.

Hanav200_error_message1.png this happens on any firmware update (no matter the firmware version date) attempt on 2 separate computers with 2 separate versions, 2 separate operating systems, clean installs, stable version vs 8/7 version.  I'm at a loss.  I had previously sent service tickets to hana about how the plan to swap out the substandard jst rcy connectors on 2 occasions and they have not seen fit to reply.  Their customer service is horrible & I think Evolv should threaten to stop selling to them if they don't get their act together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RE: Not Connected error message.  I saw that message 4 times while trying 4 different USB cables.  Bought a new quality USB data cable and no more error message.  No saying that is your issue but it was mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dc601 said:

RE: Not Connected error message.  I saw that message 4 times while trying 4 different USB cables.  Bought a new quality USB data cable and no more error message.  No saying that is your issue but it was mine. 


Well I'm up to 10 cables I have here in house w/ same issue.  It would be really cool diagnostic tool if the Dna200 had a loopback feature so a USB cable's integrity could be tested from within escribe to rule out a bad cable.

That error box goes away when the fire button on the mod is pressed and screen display lights up again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Once you hit the Fire button, does it stay on? That'd narrow it down between a USB Voltage reading issue and a sleep pin related issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
basilray said:

Still no Windows 10 love.  I think James doesn't want me messing w/ my profiles. :P



Are you saying Escribe is not working for you on Windows 10?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HolmanGT said:

[QUOTE=basilray]Still no Windows 10 love.  I think James doesn't want me messing w/ my profiles. :P



Are you saying Escribe is not working for you on Windows 10?[/QUOTE]

I've been using EScribe on Windows 10 since the OS was released on 7/29 with no issues whatsoever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
branflan said:

[QUOTE=HolmanGT][QUOTE=basilray]Still no Windows 10 love.  I think James doesn't want me messing w/ my profiles. :P



Are you saying Escribe is not working for you on Windows 10?[/QUOTE]

I've been using EScribe on Windows 10 since the OS was released on 7/29 with no issues whatsoever. [/QUOTE]

I haven't been able to use EScribe since upgrading from Win Pro 8.1 x64 to Win 10 Pro x64.  I was in the beta, and had zero issues w/ the software in Win 8.1, so it's weird.

The app opens, but is 100% unresponsive after it opens.  I have tried everything short of a new install of Windows...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now