Early Firmware and EScribe Suite Discussion Thread

BrentMydland said:

Is there somewhere that lists all the changes in each firmware update? What is the temperature-dominate box under general>profileX mean?

The last few "Release Notes" are in Post #1 of this thread.
https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/66731-topic/?do=findComment&comment=900118

Temp Dominant changes the control action (Display and the +/- buttons) to adjust temp by default instead of watts. I find it rather handy as I always leave my Mods on 200w and then let temp control it. So in day to day use, I just adjust temp.

(4) profiles now have a "Temperature Dominant" option, making temperature the main adjustment for a profile if you want to do so,

Note: turn it off if you are running Kanthal, it is only of value if you are running temp sensing wire.

Kresell said:

With the new firmware what's the purpose of holding all three buttons.Is it just to quick change to different wire types on the fly and not use profiles? Or if you had more than 8 setup already?

It allows you to have access to the three types without profiles or a computer.  It is not related to profiles and you can still only have 8.

I noticed in EScribe, you can add more Material types too besides those three. I haven't played around enough to see if there is a limit. But the box looks like it holds eight at least. But like Kresell stated, they are not the same as Profiles. Although Profiles can use Material types.

*** 2016-02-12 EScribe 1.0.39 ***
https://www.dimensionengineering.com/software/SetupES_2016-02-12.exe (52MB standalone installer)

This version features:
(1) a new Materials tab where you can store and transfer material settings onto and from the DNA,
[We've included our Ni200, and Steam Engine's SS316 and Ti1. These will be upgraded in the future, if better data becomes available, and others added if others become common.]
(2) the ability to change a profile's material without EScribe, by holding down all three buttons while locked,
(3) Profile Name and Material Name can be displayed on-screen as custom fields,
(4) profiles now have a "Temperature Dominant" option, making temperature the main adjustment for a profile if you want to do so,
(5) for small batteries, in the Mod tab, you can reduce max continuous and pulse battery input currents,
(6) in Help->Language, you can override the language detection,
(7) Device Monitor has "Simulate Button Presses" for remote testing,
(8) Device Monitor can run Python scripts for scientific study and automation,
(9) the ability to adjust the temperature increment, and
(10) various OS compatibility and miscellaneous improvements.

*** 2016-02-23 EScribe 1.0.41 ***
https://www.dimensionengineering.com/software/SetupES_2016-02-23.exe (52MB standalone installer)

This version includes all of the changes of 2016-02-12 and also features:
(1) a friendlier Screen tab,
(2) support for "Hold To Change Material", "Hold To Change Power", and "Temp Locked Hold Up Down" screens,
(3) the speed of power adjustment no longer increases drastically when switching from 0.1W to 1.0W adjustments,
(4) detection of a DNA 200 in recovery mode - now it will suggest a firmware update instead of not showing up until you hit Update Firmware, and
(5) minor bug fixes and improvements to usability.

Hope that is what you're looking for.

I am not sure what I changed. Temperature control was set to 435 F. power was set to 28 Watts. Resistance is .32, using stainless wire fram Steam Engine for 316 Elite. Temperature was reaching about 420.

EScribe was updated to 1.0.42  

The vapor seemed a little different, so I started checking performance with Device Monitor. The temperature was only indicating 320 F. I bumped up the power, and the taste was awful... indicated temperature was 350. 

I now have the temperature limit set at 335F, and poer at 26.9 Watts. It performs as it did originally. The temperature appears to plane out around 320 F. 

I do not understand what I may have changed for the indicated temperature to have changed. I have deleted and reloaded the file for the material with no effect. I have not had a chance to try to measure the actual temperature.

Each to there own but i think its moor trouble than its worth, Ive been 100 degrees out befor now with stainless, bad wire bad coils bad contact, bad csv, chucked it away and used somthing els and no problems with csv, coil build, contacts ect. also the integrity of the wire may be changeing after heating it, so the resistance is all over the place. As a matter of interest, What guage wire and coil size and wraps have you got for :35ohm

Very stable build. 5 Wraps, spaced, using 28 AWG 316L from Geekvapes.

The TFR seemed spot on, until the temp started showing 100 F lower. I have now reloaded the TFR, thinking something may have happened when I updated the EScribe... No change. 

I will put another coil in later this morning, and check the atty closely. It is possible it is something with the build, and just coincident with the update. I have re-wicked a few times. I dont really suspect a short, since it is indicating the same Ohms... well close. Rechecked and it is now .31 Ohms. Same power level for comparable performance, just showing 320 or so when it used to show 425 or so. 

Mate i havnt got any to try one for you but your :35ohm, off the top of my head, sounds high for only 5 wraps stainlesd, i know you aint mentioned what size mandrel your using, are you sure youve got stainless, i would have put money on it being Nife/ ...am on mobile at the moment so cant play with the steam engin calculator and find what size manfrell your using to get that 35/31ohm. You can just use evolvs preset stainless tfr on a simple coil.

Whats that in? A Kanger?
Ni200 is a lot moor forgiving than stainless, ((no man will argue with that)) ((no man i say)) Must be me that had the wrong wirers then, the stainless coils i built where out of the 430 grade, would be fine on initial start up and then going back to it after half hour cooling, it would perform as described above. am now using stealth Nife30, it is just head ach free

no worries,,
don't let me convert you from what your trying to get to grips with (stainless) 
I said it before each to there own, but theres nothing worse than building and carefuly fitting and wicking a coil only to find that its gone tits up within the hour, going through the threads on here it seems to be the most problematic material,
i'm having good consistent results with stealth Nife 30, (and he ships world wide) and you never hear a bad word about ni200,,,,,,,,,,,,

mikepetro said:

The last few "Release Notes" are in Post #1 of this thread.
https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/66731-topic/?do=findComment&comment=900118

Temp Dominant changes the control action (Display and the +/- buttons) to adjust temp by default instead of watts. I find it rather handy as I always leave my Mods on 200w and then let temp control it. So in day to day use, I just adjust temp.

Note: turn it off if you are running Kanthal, it is only of value if you are running temp sensing wire.

Just tried it on Ti works great..Thanks. 

Its allways going to be what works for the end user, (after getting it to work) ive got my preheat turned off and am using twin claptoned ni200/ 6 spaced wraps/1:50mm mandrell/ .30mm wire wraped around .40mm. Straight off the mod temp on the standard ni200 setting, no messing with files, (except for turning off preheat). On a v2 mutation x dripper. Lavly.

Thanks for your help.

The issue was definitely me. Last time I re-wicked, i pulled two of the coils just close enough to short under load. I also found the coil screws on my RTA don't really like to bite the larger gauge wires without a little discussion.

The settings are back to where they had been, and running pretty accurately at 420 F.

The build is 5 wraps of 26 AWG Geek Vapes SS 316L around a 7/64 mandrel. Ohms locked at .32, 28.5 Watts, 435F temp cut off, .97 seconds on preheat, and 60 Watts for preheat. It runs about 410 F during the vape. Almost immediate ramp.

I've tried the temp dominant. I really prefer it running while power limited by the Watts setting. It may be because of the stainless build, but it is a little erratic while using the temp control as the limit. I'll compare it to titanium in a few days. I like this mod, and am a big fan of the DNA 200.