DNA 60

Brandon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
joelhammonds said:

Is the +5v another one of the pins right on the USB connector as well? Been thinking of doing the same, and haven't gotten everything desoldered to take a look at the daughter board itself.

yes it is. it is the far right pin. you can do that but i found it easier to bend the leg of the 10k resistor over to the input capacitor of one the daughter board's charging chips.

i circled the place i connected the 10k res to in red (be sure to solder the resistor leg on the + side of the ceramic capacitor, the positive side has "C4" in white). it is USB (VBUS) +5v.
+5v_DNA_60_VS_rDNA.png 

ChunkyButt200 said:

yes it is. it is the far right pin. you can do that but i found it easier to bend the leg of the 10k resistor over to the input capacitor of one the daughter board's charging chips.

i circled the place i connected the 10k res to in red (be sure to solder the resistor leg on the + side of the ceramic capacitor, the positive side has "C4" in white). it is USB (VBUS) +5v.
+5v_DNA_60_VS_rDNA.png 

Sorry, if this is dumb. But solder it directly to the ceramic capacitor? Edit: Also meant to add, or to one of the pin holes next to the capacitor?

@joelhammonds - yes, the positive side of capacitor. those pin holes are vias don't concern yourself about those.

another option is this pin of the charging IC, it's all on the same circuit, whatever is easier.
  +5v_DNA_60_VS_rDNA.png 
TBH and don't get offended, if you're not that familiar with circuits or soldering this can end up being a very difficult modification and a big headache. i didn't mention this but i also had to grind away an aluminum post for the DNA 60 to fit. 

ChunkyButt200 said:

TBH and don't get offended, if you're not that familiar with circuits or soldering this can end up being a very difficult modification and a big headache. i didn't mention this but i also had to grind away an aluminum post for the DNA 60 to fit. 

No offense taken, cause honestly I'm not all that experienced, but I'm thinking I'm gonna give it a shot anyway. And I've opened it up and kind figured it would need some internal modification based on the specs of the new board. I'm going for a high risk learning experience. Haha.

ChunkyButt200 said:

@joelhammonds - yes, the positive side of capacitor. those pin holes are vias don't concern yourself about those.

another option is this pin of the charging IC, it's all on the same circuit, whatever is easier.
  +5v_DNA_60_VS_rDNA.png 

Thanks for the pics I am going to be doing the same this takes the guess work out of it.

here's another pic of the install. you can sort of see where i connected the 10k res to on the daughter board. it may help some......
FYI, you need to install the screen ribbon to the DNA 60 before soldering mating the two boards. i also removed the DNA's up and down buttons (not the entire button, just unclipped the actuators).

20161208_220537.jpg