DNA 75 will not go to 'sleep' - Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mod: Gprov Paradox (DNA75 18650)

OK, so it seems like I'm having the same or very similar issue.

So my DNA75 was working without issue for a couple of weeks.  It had never been connected via USB for charging or updates.

When i locked it, it would eventually go to sleep.  Pressing fire would bring up the welcome screen.

Yesterday I noticed that it was just going straight to the display, as if it hadn't been to sleep.

So, I've been through a restore defaults, tried all service packs, everything is up to the latest version... and now it has gotten even more odd.

1. lock the device and leave until screen turns off
2. press fire button, welcome screen is not displayed, straight to lock screen
3. leave until screen is off
5. once display is off leave the mod

without being touched and usb is not connected to anything, about 2mins later the screen just comes back on and the green led is also on

this will now happen 2 or 3 times every 2 mins without touching the mod. Once the screen eventually stays off, the green led never goes off (for now i'm taking the battery out while not being used)

another difference i've noticed... prior to this, if i changed batteries i would have to fire the mod to get the welcome screen.

Now, as soon as i put on the battery cap, the screen turns on

If I recall that device has auxiliary fire and up/down buttons.  From your description of what is going on I would return it to it's maker since opening it up will void the warranty. My guess there is something flaky with the wiring or there is e-liquid inside of the device. I seem to recall it having a 6 month warranty, I think.... 

retird said:

If I recall that device has auxiliary fire and up/down buttons.  From your description of what is going on I would return it to it's maker since opening it up will void the warranty. My guess there is something flaky with the wiring or there is e-liquid inside of the device. I seem to recall it having a 6 month warranty, I think.... 

Well... I'm now back to the original issue After leaving the battery out over night, it's back to not going fully to sleep. All other issues (led staying on, screen coming back on by itself, battery cap turning screen on) have stopped happening.

I still would recommend you consider sending it back for warranty by the mod maker, however, you might check this one thing:

In EScribe, in the Theme Tab, check the number of seconds that the Welcome Screen(s) are set to display.... Should be set above 0 in order to display.  Other than that, without opening the device, that's about all that I would offer to resolve your issue.  I checked and your device has a 6 month warranty and is void if the device is opened.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

since a few weeks I own a DNA 75 Vapedroid C1D2 showing above mentioned problems. To my surprise this device discharged a half charged 18650 over night down to (measured) 1.8V! Mailed this severe battery killing problem to Ayman Azmy - he responded friendly, but the force was not with him ;-) - he had only an sbody warranty email address for me...

As all problems are not DNA like, I decided to open this nice device
1) remove the battery
2) you see four screws: unscrew and put the battery holder carefully aside, as far as the wires allow  
3) now you can see the DNA 75 board, mounted by 3 screws
4) unscrew and carefully take the electronic board out of the device, as far as the wires allow
5) there is a second board mounted below the DNA 75, mine has printed "D-31" on it. This board carries the microswitches and some electronic components.
6) DNA 75 and D-31 are connected with blank wires - and at one corner point with a red and a white wire
7) grab your soldering iron and remove these 2 colored wires completely
8) put electronic boards and screws back in place

I won a perfectly nice working C1D2 Vapedroid with a DNA 75 inside. All problems mentioned in this thread are gone. 

Warning: doing so you loose warranty and may damage the device. Please follow my procedure only, if you are technically educated - and keep in mind that you may destroy your device by a single mistake.

BlockLike said:

Mod: Gprov Paradox (DNA75 18650)

OK, so it seems like I'm having the same or very similar issue.

So my DNA75 was working without issue for a couple of weeks.  It had never been connected via USB for charging or updates.

When i locked it, it would eventually go to sleep.  Pressing fire would bring up the welcome screen.

Yesterday I noticed that it was just going straight to the display, as if it hadn't been to sleep.

So, I've been through a restore defaults, tried all service packs, everything is up to the latest version... and now it has gotten even more odd.

1. lock the device and leave until screen turns off
2. press fire button, welcome screen is not displayed, straight to lock screen
3. leave until screen is off
5. once display is off leave the mod

without being touched and usb is not connected to anything, about 2mins later the screen just comes back on and the green led is also on

this will now happen 2 or 3 times every 2 mins without touching the mod. Once the screen eventually stays off, the green led never goes off (for now i'm taking the battery out while not being used)

another difference i've noticed... prior to this, if i changed batteries i would have to fire the mod to get the welcome screen.

Now, as soon as i put on the battery cap, the screen turns on

BlockLike did you contact with moder Provatidis or in any way manage to solve the issue?
Please message him in fb because I allready talk to him and he said that is the first time someone report him an issue like this....by the way i have the same problem and i would like to find a solution too.....waiting yor answer.....sorry for my bad english....

• 2 weeks later...
tsow69 said:

BlockLike did you contact with moder Provatidis or in any way manage to solve the issue?
Please message him in fb because I allready talk to him and he said that is the first time someone report him an issue like this....by the way i have the same problem and i would like to find a solution too.....waiting yor answer.....sorry for my bad english....

Yes, I contacted the modder who agreed to have a look at it. It's currently with him, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

• 2 months later...
Helmut said:

Hi all,

since a few weeks I own a DNA 75 Vapedroid C1D2 showing above mentioned problems. To my surprise this device discharged a half charged 18650 over night down to (measured) 1.8V! Mailed this severe battery killing problem to Ayman Azmy - he responded friendly, but the force was not with him ;-) - he had only an sbody warranty email address for me...

As all problems are not DNA like, I decided to open this nice device
1) remove the battery
2) you see four screws: unscrew and put the battery holder carefully aside, as far as the wires allow  
3) now you can see the DNA 75 board, mounted by 3 screws
4) unscrew and carefully take the electronic board out of the device, as far as the wires allow
5) there is a second board mounted below the DNA 75, mine has printed "D-31" on it. This board carries the microswitches and some electronic components.
6) DNA 75 and D-31 are connected with blank wires - and at one corner point with a red and a white wire
7) grab your soldering iron and remove these 2 colored wires completely
8) put electronic boards and screws back in place

I won a perfectly nice working C1D2 Vapedroid with a DNA 75 inside. All problems mentioned in this thread are gone. 

Warning: doing so you loose warranty and may damage the device. Please follow my procedure only, if you are technically educated - and keep in mind that you may destroy your device by a single mistake.

hi,i had the same problem with my C1D2 not going to deep sleep  so i opened and remove the white and red wire,indeed it now goes in to deep sleep and i have no battery drain,only con is that now when i connect it to pc or charger i have no red or green light through usb port. Maybe those wires are for the charging light from the dna board to the daughter board and for some reason they do a short,anyway i prefer the deep sleep than the light.Next time i open the mod i will try to solder back one wire at the time to see the board behaviourvapedroid board.jpg

konn4312 said:

hi,i had the same problem with my C1D2 not going to deep sleep  so i opened and remove the white and red wire,indeed it now goes in to deep sleep and i have no battery drain,only con is that now when i connect it to pc or charger i have no red or green light through usb port. Maybe those wires are for the charging light from the dna board to the daughter board and for some reason they do a short,anyway i prefer the deep sleep than the light.Next time i open the mod i will try to solder back one wire at the time to see the board behaviourvapedroid board.jpg

I'd like to try this on my C1D2 too. Are you still able to charge it with usb? Thanks

well i found what is the use of those two cables.Its for the usb port light.I tried to solder each wire separately,the red one did nothing,the white one gave me only a green light when connected to pc although the battery was not full charged.I then resoldered the two cables back on the originall place and the red and green lights came backas before but again no deep sleep,so i desolder them back.So i guess it is a fault in the desighn on the daughter board,lights on,no deep sleep.Lights off then you have deep sleep.That is the case

I just wanted to give a huge THANK YOU for Helmut for figuring out a hack to get the deep sleep working again. (also for Konn4312 for confirming the fix)

Yes it disables the usb light, but since I was about to trash my C1D2 in frustration rather than sending it to China for repair at my expense, it's a mod saver. Was really nervous taking it apart (as a lot of things that I take apart never end up working again lol), but carefully snipping the two wires connecting the two boards together reassembling and having it work correctly was awesome and not very difficult at all. 

I've had the same 26650 battery in it for a week with only occasionally vaping and it's still at half charge. Whereas the day before trying this fix it killed another full battery by draining it down to 2.1v overnight. I can now enjoy this mod to the fullest.

Thanks again. 

Ken

That is a bummer. I have C1D2 and C2D1 amd it seems somebody made a mistake. The single battery unit is depleting the batery all the time (although only started to do this after several weeks), the dual battery unit has issues with charging through USB and it only charges at arpund 0.2A and jumping around. I tried to connect it to 1A phone charger, and to a usb cable plugged into a docking station. Here it gets interesting. If the device is "idle" and charging, the USB current fluctuates around 0.2A. if i start escribe and with no changes i just Upload settings to device, it charges at 1A. But, after a while it falls again to around 0.2A... Seems like the small board is somehow malfunctioning, but i am not going to send it back to China...

• 2 weeks later...

Whatto: I can't speak on the external charger mentioned in this thread, but, is your battery nearly full (4.2V) when the charge is falling off?
If so, this is actually correct behavior - lithium ion battery chargers charge at full current until the battery reaches its maximum voltage, after which point they let the current fall off so as to not exceed that maximum voltage.

James, no it was doing the same regardless of the power level and it was the same on USB charger (from a laptop docking station) and on a regular 1A wall adapter. What I don't understand is that after Upload settings to device it was charging at 1A, after cca 45 seconds it gropped to cca 0.48A, and after another cca 45 seconds it fell to the erratic 0.2-ish A. After another Upload settings to Device the whole process repeated in a very similar manner (the graph scale is set to 180 seconds). Both drops to 0A represents the Upload settings to device

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

I reuploaded the settings I had when I posted the graph (I received a new ecig file from Sbody in the meantime) and this is how it looks now.

The behavior is different but the drop is still there, although now it does it much later (the graph is set to 360 seconds). The starting point of the Room temperature is complete bullshit, it si definitely not more than 20 degrees in the office right now

Untitled.png

Aha! Your case analyzer settings are wrong (Mod->Thermal). I'd be real curious what settings you have right now. Were they as shipped by a manufacturer?

The device estimates the room temperature based on the board temperature and charging state using those settings. It's thinking your device is getting dangerously cold, so it is cutting the charge rate.

Here are the DNA 250 defaults. If you don't have the correct values for your device on-hand, using these will at least get you to a better place.

DNA250Defaults.png